Thirty-six

Don't forget I updated chapter 35 yesterday, so be sure to read it before!

The next time he walks into the room, approximately four hours have passed.

I'm calmer. Numb. I don't think he can do or say anything else that will make me hate him even more.

What am I thinking? Of course he can.

I just don't know what he really wants from me or what he's planning next. He wants to talk, but I'm done listening. I need to do something, but I don't want to screw everything up. My guess is that Britt and the team are already trying to come here.

I can't let him kill them all. Because he will. He can.

A man follows behind him. I avert my gaze when Matthew King tries to meet my eyes.

"Cut her zip-ties," he orders to the man, who walks towards me.

"About time," I mutter to myself, closing my eyes for a moment. My wrists are released in a few seconds, followed by my feet, and I slowly stand up, rubbing my hands together.

From the corner of my eyes, I catch the monster staring at me.

"Your wrists," he states, taking a step towards me. I glare at him and take one backward. He sighs. "You bled."

"I've been through worse than that. What the fuck do you want from me?" I ask, crossing my arms.

"Are you hungry?"

I don't reply. I won't eat anything he offers me.

He sighs again. "All right. Take a seat, then." He motions for the couches and takes a seat himself.

It takes everything in me to reply nicely. "I've been sitting for more than four hours. I'm good."

Just like earlier, he lits a cigarette and takes a drag while watching me curiously. He rubs his chin and smiles.

"Sophia," he says, and I stiffen. "I don't want to hurt you."

I start laughing, and the sound echoes in the large room. I get goosebumps because this isn't me. I forgot what my real laugh sounds like. And it scares me.

"Funny. I don't believe you."

"You have trust issues," he randomly says.

"You've got to be kidding me right now." Glaring at him, I take a step towards him. "You have ten seconds to tell me why I'm still here because you're seriously out of your damn mind if you think I'll ever work with you after everything you've done to me and the people I love."

He takes another drag of his cigarette before he crushes it in the ashtray. "Love," he mutters, shaking his head. "What a waste."

"That's what you said when you put a bullet through my mother's head?" I spit, tightening my fists.

I still hear her screams, still see the murderous look on his face right before I run away.

I close my eyes. I can't do this. I can't believe I'm breathing in the same room than this monster. I can't believe I haven't killed him yet.