7. Ah, Fuck. I Can't Believe You Done This

Back to Marley's perspective

"What?" Marley said, perking up from her slumped position on the counter. Dean flicked his gaze back to her. 

"Back before I met you, Mar, there was a crowd I hung out with. They... weren't exactly good people."

"Who?" Dean asked, his face set in an intense stare, fixated and focused.

"The leader was Envy, I think. Unless the bitch changed her name again."

"Again?" Marley interrupted, leaning forward.

"Yeah. Her real name is Alaina. At least, that's what she told me. Nothing else, just her first name that might not even be her first name."

"Son of a bitch, she'll be hard to find," Dean said, straightening and snapping back out of his focus.

"That's the thing. I know where to find her," Emalee said uneasily.

"Where?"

"She'll be somewhere in West Michigan. That's where they always are."

"Wait, they?"

"Mhm. She kind of leads a sort of... gang, made up of shapeshifters. It's not a very big one, but it's cruel and ruthless. I-I'm glad I left." Emalee looked down and shuddered, closing her eyes. Marley put and arm around her shoulders for support.

"We need to get going." Dean set off, supposedly to find Sam. Marley turned to Emalee, who was standing rigidly and stiller than a rock.

"Why didn't you ever tell me?"

"I didn't want to disappoint you or scare you off. Trust me, if you knew half the things that gang made me do, you wouldn't want to be near me," she mumbled with her eyes still closed. Her rough exterior was gone. Here was the vulnerable Emalee that never, ever showed herself. Except... once. And that one time was something that they didn't talk about.

Marley hated seeing her friend like that. She wanted to help so bad, but oftentimes she couldn't really do anything about it. So she pulled Emalee closer to her.

"I'm still here, and I'll be here for a long time. I'm not gonna leave you because you, oh I don't know, killed someone." Emalee looked up and gave her a hollow smile.

"Thanks."

"Not a problem." They hugged and left the kitchen. Dean was at the table again, throwing things into a canvas bag.

"Start packing." Exchanging a look, the girls hurried back to their rooms. Marley folded a few pairs of clothes and threw in a small canister of pepper spray, tucking the pocketknife Emalee had gotten her for her twentieth birthday in her pocket. She lifted the bag over her shoulder and rapped on Emalee's door.

Inside, she was racing around with wings on her feet, throwing random things on the bed.

"We've only spent one night here and all of your possessions are spread around the room?" Marley asked incredulously. 

"This is how I pack Mar, you know that." She finally sat on the bed, folded her legs tight, and started to fold. She didn't care about being neat, she just haphazardly bundled it together and threw it in the bag. 

"I need to get back to my truck," she muttered, pulling a handgun out from under the pillow. She checked the magazine, slamming it back into the gun and tucking it into her waistband. 

"Why?"

"It's where all my equipment is. Ammo, extra guns, all that."

"Oh." Emalee sighed, did a last check of the room, and picked up her bag.

"Let's get going." They went down the hall and stopped, hearing loud voices raised at each other.

"You're leaving, in the middle of all of this?!" That was Sam.

"It's a case, Sammy! No harm done, I'll be back in a flash."

"I can't believe you're abandoning this! After all the work we've put into finding and capturing on of his crew, you just up and leave on another case!"

"What,, do you want me to ignore it? Let people die? I don't know about you, but this little gang of misfits and monsters seems pretty extreme to me. It's worth checking out."

"No, it's not Dean! We have enough going on here, don't you see?" Emalee cleared her throat. Both boys whipped around and stared at the girls.

"Son of a bitch," Dean muttered.

Wow, two chapters in one day! I'm on a roll right now, expect more soon!

~ Love, Kals