Chapter 16

Veronica's POV

Dear Diary,

     Heather Mcnamara attempted suicide yesterday by trying to overdose herself with sedatives. I had stopped her in the nick of time, I shudder whenever I think about what would have happened if I was a second too late. Heather Chandler and Heather Duke finally showed some humanity, and it took Mac nearly killing herself for that to happen. As messed up as that sounds, things actually got better between the 4 of us. While Heather Chandler is still the demon queen of Westerburg High, she has acted a whole lot nicer to me, Duke, and Mcnamara. She even tolerates JD and Martha now. Duke, on the other hand, keeps quiet most of the time, instead preferring to bury her nose in a book. Both Mac and I are happy with these changes. 

"Have you heard the news? Regina George was hit by a bus." Duke said.

"What?" I slammed my diary shut.

"Some say she stepped in front of the bus as a suicide attempt. Others say that Cady Heron pushed her. They tend to believe the latter, though." Chandler said.

"What's happening over there?" Mcnamara pointed to a frantic Cady surrounded by Courtney and her friends. 

"This wasn't my fault!" Cady said to the crowd. "Regina was a horrible person! Everyone hated her! I'm the good guy here! Janis made me spy on them and Gretchen wanted me to get rid of her!"

Her proclamation was met with ridicule and most students simply ignored it. Cady then simply gave up and went away.

"Jesus, what a drama queen." Heather Chandler rolled her eyes.

"Heather, don't be a hypocrite. You were basically more than half the drama at Westerburg before the Plastics came." I said.

"Veronica, although that's true, I would never be as dense as to say that "I'm the good guy here"." Chandler pointed out.

"Heather has a point." Duke peered up from her copy of The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe.

"By the way, prom is coming up soon, so we're all going out again to buy some decent clothes." Chandler stated.

Of course, there is the long-awaited senior prom. I almost forgot about it because of everything that has happened this month. The Heathers all had their dates, and I have yet to ask JD.

"Ooh! I get to style Veronica's hair!" Heather Mac said with glee.

"Why am I always the one getting makeovers?" I asked.

"Because, despite hanging out with us since we were juniors, you still can't accessorize for shit, Veronica." Chandler said. The others laughed.

"Fine, just not anything too revealing." I pouted. Some things never change, I guess.

Cady's POV

"I wrote the Burn Book." I said.

Ms. Fleming and Principal Gowan didn't look too happy. "Three weeks suspension, and you're banned from prom."

I sulked and stepped out of the principal's office.

Three weeks later, I came back to school. Everyone I passed by made an effort to avoid me, and, needless to say, it sucked a lot.

My phone pinged. It was a text from Karen, but it was all emojis so I didn't really understand. Luckily, the bell rang, so I went around the school looking for her.

She was right outside the cafeteria. "Hey Karen! You're still not mad at me, are you?"

"No." She shook her head. "Also, pencil emoji, dancing ladies, and umbrella!"