C H A P T E R VI

They suddenly stop in the middle of nowhere. Lisa asks Jennie to get off her motorbike as she turns it off, telling Jennie wordlessly that they have arrived, surprisingly safely and soundly—for now. Jennie studies her surroundings; they stop at a small path creating a gap from a small building looking like a creepy apartment to a line of massive fences made out of leaves blocking her whole view, looking like a maze in films she sometimes gets to watch with Jisoo. Jennie cannot decide which one is worse but she does hope that they will not go anywhere near both of those places.

Lisa silently walks approaching the wall of leaves as she looks around, peeking here and there as if she is new to the neighbourhood and about to commit wrongdoings. There go her hopes and prayers, Jennie thinks to herself as she watches Lisa in worry. What has she dragged herself into, Jennie wonders. It does not take long until Lisa opens a locked door made out of steel, looking so heavy judging from the creaking sound it makes. It sends shivers down Jennie's spine because that is the sound any doors make in any horror film. Lisa gestures for Jennie to follow her, and although she hesitantly complies, Jennie somewhat is grateful and relieved because hey, at least they did not head towards the creepy apartment across, right?

Wrong.

Jennie learns that in this life she must not speak of or assume things too fast before she sees everything thoroughly. That attitude is the core of disappointment, because beyond that line of fence made of leaves, looking innocently like a maze—honestly, she would prefer to be stuck and lost in a maze rather than face what she is facing right before her eyes, lies a scene she would not even dare to imagine or dream even in her nightmare.

A bloody cemetery.

There are not many headstones actually, there are only probably five to six headstones tidily arranged on the scene, but even so, for Jennie, it is already one too many headstones. Jennie trails behind Lisa as she watches the woman in silence, once again questioning herself if following the woman is a good idea in the first place. Lisa walks as they pass by the cemetery like it is nothing, just a casual Wednesday. Jennie shudders in horror when she slowly walks as silently as she possibly can, trying so hard not to make a sound, she does not want to bother the six Bruschweilers who are laid six feet beneath the soil she is stepping on. It looks like a family boneyard—judging from the same surname all the headstones display, The Bruschweilers, so Jennie thinks when she manages to put the two and two together.

It is not long until they are met with another wall of leaves creating another line of fence. What now, Jennie grunts silently in her mind because she knows she has made a strike one with Lisa, complaining will not get her that far, she wisely tells herself. So all her distaste and grumble will be kept only for herself. Lisa looks like she is pondering as if studying the fence then she places her hand gliding it on the surface of the thick leaves. Then she stops and turns to Jennie.

Jennie looks at Lisa's back in complete confusion.

"Let's go," Lisa says.

Let's go where exactly?

Jennie has yet done toying with her thoughts when Lisa suddenly holds her hand and leads her into the fence that turns out to be a maze. This is so impossible to fathom, Jennie sighs desperately. She wants to just give up right there and then—it is simply too much for her, but Lisa's firm grip on her hand somewhat feels like it is trying to tell her to stay close to her instead and that everything is going to be okay as long as they stick together. Lisa is scared of Jennie getting lost in the maze if anything. However, it is not for any sentimental reason, no. Simply because the maze is quite massive and complicated, and it must be confusing to most—intimidating even. One misstep might cause them both to separate and Lisa does not need a 'Jennie treasure hunt' as an extra hassle for her; taking Jennie all the way there from her comfortable tower is already a hassle all in its own entity.