Prologue

Dick's eyes snapped open as he was startled abruptly from sleep, and he instinctively held himself still, merely watching from where he was curled slightly on his side. 

Jason gasped in several deep breaths and slowly lowered his arm from where he had thrust it up, reaching toward the ceiling, waking both of them as the rest of his torso had jolted up after it. He glanced over at Dick, who calmly met his eyes, and Jason seemed to deflate ⁠— sinking back into the bed with another deep breath.

He blindly reached a hand over and closed his eyes, his hand landing on Dick's thigh. There were several long minutes of near-silence as Jason took measured, meditative breaths, his hand squeezing ever tighter, but Dick didn't make a noise even when he became certain it was going to bruise nastily. He'd dealt with plenty of bruises in his line of work, and it wasn't in too inconvenient a spot ⁠— it was a small price to pay, either way, for Jason to be able to ground himself in reality.

Jason jerked his hand away as if burned when he finally processed his surroundings, and realized his grip was too tight. He looked quickly, fearfully over to Dick, and Dick easily held his gaze until he looked away again, hesitantly bringing his hand back down to lightly soothe the spot he had bruised.

Dick watched as Jason's throat worked like he wanted to speak, but it was far too early. According to the clock on the nightstand, they'd hardly gotten two hours of sleep yet. 

Jason continued to stroke over the forming bruise, hand warm and gentle. I'm sorry. I didn't mean to. I was trying to ground myself, I wasn't paying attention⁠— I'm sorry.

He rolled up onto his side to face Dick, who obligingly slid a leg between Jason's so they could lie comfortably. Jason's leg weighted heavily, the abundance of muscle pressing into the blooming bruise on Dick's thigh, but he didn't mind. He'd slept with worse.

He let out a heavy breath as Jason rested his forehead against Dick's chin, sliding his hand up until it rested between his shoulder blades to pull him closer, and rubbing slow circles. I'm sorry. Sorry for waking you up.

Dick threw an arm over Jason's shoulder, briefly burying it in the back of his hair, before running it down his back, over his hip, and then back up. It's okay. I'm here. I've got you, you're safe. I'm not letting go.

Jason kissed the hollow of his throat, and Dick pressed his hand a bit tighter to Jason's back. I love you.

A short trail of kisses ended at Dick's mouth, and they exchanged a few lazy, sleepy kisses before Jason moved away again, scooting slightly down the bed, kissing over Dick's chest. Thank you. I love you.

He burrowed closer, nosing against Dick's chest and dropping the occasional kiss before he finally drifted back to sleep.

Dick pressed a kiss to the top of his head, carding fingers through his coarse hair, and let his own eyes drift shut. Goodnight.