Chapter Seventeen: The Birth of a Demon

Start from the beginning

Narrowing his eyes, Owen buffed his chest to make himself look big and strong. "Here I thought you'll only use the blade on Ilorian."

"I will use the blade on anyone who stands in my way of going home. You don't understand the importance of me returning to my time.... to my family. I've saved the world twice already, the first time I've lost someone dear to me, the second- I practically lost my life. I can't nip on death's toes any longer, I'm going to do everything I can to get the fuck out of here."

"Slaying everyone and thing will not bring you closer to that city." Owen barked, his voice stern and demanding. "And I do understand." This time he spoke softer, his harden features relaxed into a deep frown, eyes grew darker, and shoulders slumped as he created distance between us. "I had a family, wife and two son's- both barely the age of seven. It was the first year of the apocalypse, no one knew what the fuck to do, humans were dropping bombs all over the nation, alliances were nothing but the past as everything and everyone turned dark with just a snap of a finger. Most of the pack members left, went on their separate way in hopes to find sanctuary, we stayed in our original location near the border of Mexico. I was hunting one day, a little at ease with the thought that we found a good spot to ride out the storm you know, but I was wrong."

"Demons killed them?"

Owen shook his head while tugging at his hair. "Humans, ten of them. They went through the village, stealing whatever they can, killing whoever posed a threat, raping whatever with legs. I heard their cries, I tried to run to them but I was so far away I couldn't reach the camp in time. When I arrived, my wife was..." He shuddered, the memory suddenly hitting him hard than a train, but he pushed on. "She was dead, cut up with a bullet wound in the middle of her forehead. My sons, they were butchered like animals and left to die in their own blood and shit. I wasn't there to save them, I was too busy trying to find a slither of happiness and old ways in this world that I became naive to the fact that things changed completely. You're trying to go back to your family, I get that, I would do anything to see my family again; but do not let that mark control you."

The dark cloud inside me disappears immediately as sadness takes over and guilt finally hits my chest. I'm not the only one who lost so much... "How have you survived this long? I've only been here for a week and already going down a spiral from the separation, I'm not even a lycan."

"There's over a hundred lycans on this farm, some lucky in keeping their mate and child, others not so lucky. They look at me for guidance, I can not break down; because if I do, this pack will be lost. After this war is over, I will have time to properly mourn, for now I stay strong."

I scoffed lightly as I found humor in his words, the dark cloud inside me has disappeared but my mind turned fuzzy. "Strong? I was... no, I am strong. I just have different tactics to show my strength, I do what I have to do in order to get my life back and if that means slashing down whoever challenge my every move; then one of us will go down bloody." Jamming the plate into his chiseled chest, I narrowed my gaze upon the fearing alpha that showed the slightest sign of anger and regret. "Thanks for the food."

Owen grabbed the plate and narrowed his eyes at me. "Don't forget where you are."

"And you don't forget who I am."

The large alpha only sigh heavily before leaving the room, it was an understatement when I say I've spoke the wrong words- that my own pride and anger got the best of me. As Owen closed the behind him, the sharp click of a lock told me I've pushed it too far. Grasping behind the door knob, I twist as hard as I can to only find it was stiff and not moving any time soon. "Owen!" I screamed while banging my palm against the cool hard surface. "Don't lock me in here! Owen!"