𝒳. 𝐵𝓊𝓇𝓃𝒾𝓃𝑔 𝒮𝒶𝓃𝒸𝓉𝓊𝒶𝓇𝒾𝑒𝓈

There weren't many moments in (Y/n)'s life that would certify her as 'reckless'

There weren't many moments in (Y/n)'s life that would certify her as 'reckless'. Unfortunately, this was one of the few that did.

When she heard of one of her subordinates latest mission, her heart very nearly stopped beating.

It was a simple one, really. All that the subordinate needed to do was to locate a boy of age twelve-- a street urchin-- by the name of Matsui Hiroshi, and bring him in so he could be palmed off to a bigger organization willing to pay a hefty prize for him in return. In other words, the mission was a bounty hunt for a kid with an ability that the buying clients needed for whatever reason.

None of the nitty gritty details mattered to her. What she cared about was the fact that she knew Hiroshi. He was one of the many kids she'd essentially taken to caring for. Hiroshi was a little older than most of the kids on the street since they either died or found some way to earn a livelihood through illicit activities, and he'd taken quite a bit of time before warming up to her presence, but he was a good boy who cared for his younger companions and did his best to survive each day.

He'd been abandoned young, much like she had, because of the nature of his abilities. There were quite a few people who turned away from a gift concerning death and the spiritual realm. His own parents had deemed him some sort of an abomination for his 'unnatural' connection to the netherworld, deciding that the boy was some sort of offspring from hell and would be better off dead.

But Hiroshi had survived, and maybe (Y/n) saw just a little bit of her younger self in the boy that made her care enough to slip away as soon as word of the mission reached her so she could find him before anyone else could. (Y/n) didn't have a plan. She didn't know what she would do after reaching him. What she did know was that she couldn't-- wouldn't-- stand by while they took a child away for their own selfish purposes.

No child deserved to have their innocence stripped away so mercilessly. Hiroshi was by no means unaware of the cruelties of the world, but the things he could be subjected to wherever he was to be whisked off to were enough to quite possibly break him in ways that would shatter anyone's spirit. Knowing this, and feeling the weight of the promise she'd made to herself and these kids, (Y/n) found herself appearing in the shadows of one of the many alleyways of Yokohama, wildly searching for a familiar head of wild black hair.