5

Seventh grade was filled with bad grades and poor choices.   Instead of working hard like Mom wanted,  Mya had something else on her mind.   After Dad left,  she would go spend time with him on the weekends and summers.  These times were filled with fun for Mya, making new friends and exploring the neighborhood.   It was easy to have fun at Dad's because she could be herself.   Sitting outside enjoying nature,  playing music together,  laughing at TV shows,  Mya and Dad had a stronger bond than ever.   Suddenly,  everything changed.  Dad would say he was coming to pick Mya up for a weekend of fun and never show up.   Mya would wait and wait until it was dark, then she would sadly unpack her suitcase.   More and more Dad would miss their weekend dates and this made Mya very angry.   "What did I do?" She often wondered.   After a while he didn't stop by or call at all and she resented him for it.  One day she overheard Mom on the phone.   "Giiiirrrl,  yes,  he's a got girlfriend, and is taking care of that woman's children instead of his own.  I don't have the heart to tell Mya.  It will break her heart." And it did, the first man she ever loved kicked her to the curb and broke her heart.  Mya was deeply affected by her father's choices but she wouldn't realize it until it was too late.