4

Before she knew it, Mya was 12 years old and in the sixth grade.   She was short for her age but still beautiful with a dazzling smile.   One day she met a boy named Aiden, he's a year younger than her but towered over her.   He would tease her,  saying mean things in hopes of seeing her cry but she never did,  at least not in front of him.   He continues his torments for weeks and Mya has had enough.   She tells Mom, she tells her teachers,  she even tells her friends and no one could seem to help.   The last straw came when Mya had taken the long way to class in hopes of avoiding Aiden but he soon had her cornered.  He pushed her up against the wall and grabs her by the neck of her shirt,  he then lifts her off of the ground up and down as if she's a dumbell.  Mortified, scared and angry Mya allowed a tear to silently slip down her cheek.   He releases her laughing and she runs to class.   Plenty of people saw it no one tried to help.   Mya was determined to get Aiden to leave her alone.   She had a plan, when she got home that night she went to the knife drawer in the kitchen,  picked out the smallest, sharpest knife she could find and slipped it into her  bookbag.  The next day on the bus she told her friend her plan,  "I'm going to show him the knife and tell him to leave me alone."  Her friend looked concerned but didn't say much.   As soon as Mya got settled in class the loudspeaker crackled to life,  "Mya Peace please come to the office"
When she got there, a police officer was there regarding her kindly.   He asked her what was in her bag, she told him.   He asked why would she bring such a scary thing to school. In a blubbering mess she explained to the officer what was going on and how she tried to ask for help and how scared she was just walking the halls.   The officer and principal spoke without her in the room for a long time.  By now,  Mom had arrived and kept glancing at her with worried eyes.   When they returned they informed her that since she had previously been such a good student that would be taken into consideration however she had broken school policies and would be suspended for one school day. Mom looked relieved but Mya was shocked,  suspended! She had never been in trouble like this before.  Mom told her later that she could have gotten expelled for the rule she had broken but she was sad that Mya had to endure such behavior for so long.  Mom made suspension a fun day, taking off work and just hanging out.  When Mya returned to school,  she expected to see Aiden around every corner.  Somehow it had gotten back to him what Mya was planning to do and he never bullied her again.