Alliance

{1}

"Get down from my damn table!" My mum yelled, her grey eyes flaring in anger. "You're going to get marks on it, Aiden!"

Our Gamma, Aiden, was standing on the conference table, watching his son trying to catch the spider by his designated seat. My father sat back quietly, arms crossed, watching his friend in amusement.

"There was a damn spider, how was I supposed to react?" He shot back, screeching when he saw the insect again. "Have you killed it yet, Kyle?" 

I watched the whole ordeal from afar, completely immune to Aiden's quirkiness.

My best friend held the spider in his hand, before calmly making his way to the window and placing it outside. "You're safe, dad." He announced dramatically as his father climbed down. 

His father awkwardly cleared his throat, smoothing out his suit. "And that's how you remain professional, ladies and gentlemen."

Everyone ignored him.

Poor guy.

I patiently sat at the head of the table, waiting for everyone to come in and settle. We were about to hold a very important meeting, one that I have been dreading to have. Looking around the conference table, I took note of who was present. 

My parents, former leaders of this pack, were sat beside me; quietly talking amongst themselves. Aiden's wife, Maria the Gamma Female, was calming him down from his fear of spiders. Their eldest son, Kyle, was on his phone...

...watching people cut soap?

He caught my confused expression and said, "Don't judge me, it was on the explore page."

I held my hands up in surrender and said, "Hey, I didn't say anything."

"You didn't need to, your expression said it all."

I was about to respond to that, but stopped when I felt the Beta family's presence. 

"Sorry, we're late!" A cheerful voice called out. The Beta, Julian, and Beta Female, Leona appeared with their eldest daughter, Ivy. She was also my best friend, we grew up together as she was only a year older than me.

A wide smile appeared on my face once I saw her, I missed her so much. "Next time you go on holiday, I'm coming with you!" I exclaimed, as she made her way towards me. 

We quickly hugged as everyone got into their seats. I mentally sighed, already dreading the upcoming discussions. Ivy left my side to go sit by her parents, on the other end of the table.

I cleared my throat. "Good morning everyone, I hope you're all doing well. So as you all know, this meeting has been scheduled to talk about the rising threats this pack is currently facing. It seems like members of each pack, including ours, have secretly been recruited to overthrow us. Us being the leaders. Unfortunately, we have not gathered enough intel to know who is organising all of this."

I looked around the table, taking in everyone's troubled expressions. "I know we initially overlooked this threat as unproblematic, but as you all know, recently the security of this pack was breeched."

Last week, when our border warrior forces were changing shifts, we were briefly infiltrated by rogues. This was a complete shock to us, since our borders were the toughest to cross in the country.

The shift hours for our border warriors is confidential information, but it was hard to believe the time they infiltrated was a coincidence. Of course, the rogues were captured but what was bothering me was their lack of action. 

All they did was talk to one pack member before they were captured.

It was a couple days ago when I heard concerning news about some people questioning their leadership. Confused and hurt by what I had heard, I reached out to them in order to listen to their concerns. I had only been their Alpha for two and a half years, so I still had a lot to learn.