Chapter 7 - False Victory

Luke

I sighed happily as I made my way back to the dorm. I just finished my last test, and I'm pretty confident that I nailed it. Now back to the Logan issue. Derek had told me before that to get rid of the other mates I may have out there in the world, we need to finally mate. Like, he has to do that thing where he bites me during... you know. 

We hadn't done that yet because we were waiting until the right moment to finally be together. In fact, we've been planning for a while now when we'd finally tie that knot. But maybe we should soon, since this situation is so... awkwardly pressing. 

Sitting on a bench outside my dorm was Logan. I don't want to talk to him, but I'm afraid I won't have a choice. I can see this conversation going three ways-- two of which are unfavorable. He might just be plain depressing and full of self-pity, he could still be desperate and might try to convince me again, or maybe (a big maybe) he might just accept it and not make this uncomfortable. It's a toss up. 

Shuffling past, pretending not to see him, I took out my phone and scanned my Instagram feed. Holding my breath, I took the first precautionary steps around him and ignored the flutter in my stomach. 

"Luke!" He called out, effectively shutting down my ignore-the-problem plan. 

Turning toward him reluctantly, I responded to him with "Ah, Logan," making sure to utilize some fake enthusiasm. "Hey, what's up?"

"Just been out here thinking. I've figured some stuff out in my head and I want to get it all out there." He seems perfectly rational. I might as well entertain him. 

"Go ahead," I encouraged, taking a seat next to him.

"I know that you don't want me... since you and Derek are so close now. And I realize... it was unfair of me to ask you to leave him. I see that now. But, I can't help but wonder why you won't at least give me a chance to prove myself to you?"

I closed my eyes and sighed. Reopening them, I told him gently, "Because I would be betraying Derek. I love him more than I've loved anyone else, and we're committed to one another. I can't just jump into a side relationship with you, Logan."

I could see the frustration stirring in his eyes, but he schooled himself and nodded. "Okay. I understand. In that case, can you do just one thing for me?"

Feeling a twinge of sadness in my heart, I sympathized with him and answered, "Sure. Anything to make this better for you... what is it?"

"I want you to just seal the deal with Derek already." He told me, solemnly. "This--" he motioned between us-- "is torture. Just bone and get it over with."

I sputtered as warmth suddenly flooded to my cheeks. "Logan! Can you use more appropriate language?"

"Do the do? Bump yo' bottoms? Hoedown in the sheets?" He offered.

"No! Just say mate. It's seems less weird than these euphemisms."

"You-fem-what?"

"Never mind. I'm going to go up and see Derek." 

"...Okay." I got up, but Logan all of a sudden jumped up and almost grabbed me. "Wait!" I jerked away at the last second, not wanting to get sucked into a mate-reverie again. He realized his mistake and backed off. "Um... I just wanted to make sure that this is all between us. When it's done, we don't have to talk about it ever again."

"Of course," I affirmed. "It's best that Derek never know."

...

a/n

i have no excuse. this draft has been sitting for a while. im tired