Chapter 7

They rode in silence. Leilani was intoxicated and knew speaking probably wasn't the smartest thing to do right now. They both kept their hands in their laps as they began the journey to Leilani's home. She wanted him to say something. Anything, really. She wanted some sort of reassurance that she hadn't done anything wrong.

"Mr. Vanderbilt," Leilani began to say, but she decided against sparking a conversation. Clearly, he was avoiding the conversation about the situation. So, she thought it best to play along. "Nevermind." Leilani said instead, ending her thoughts as quickly as she had began the sentence. She looked over at Mr. Vanderbilt, who had his eyes locked on hers.

Leilani looked away, focusing her attention on the rain droplets that were attached to the window. She counted them one by one, hoping to pass the time a little quicker. They weren't even halfway to her house yet. Sad.

Mr. Vanderbilt cleared his throat. "Leilani, there's so much more to me than you'd ever know. And I'm not ready to open myself up just yet." He said simply. 

Leilani looked over at him, surprised at the words. "You can talk to me." Leilani assured him. 

She wanted this. She wanted to get to know him. That was better than nothing, right?

Mr. Vanderbilt sat silently for a few moments before huffing and eventually scooting over so that he was sitting only an inch away from Leilani. "Well, I'm recently divorced..." Mr. Vanderbilt began his story. "I found her sleeping with the accountant." Leilani gasped. "Yup. And her reason for having an affair was that I spent too much time at the office. Which, I agree with now. But I made sure she wanted for absolutely nothing and I still got shitted on." He poured his heart out.

Leilani's heart sank to her stomach. She felt for Mr. Vanderbilt. Maybe that was why he was so cold to her their first meeting. "Well, I did get a few hostile vibes from you before, during, and after the interview." Leilani pointed out. Mr. Vanderbilt chuckled. "I apologize for that. I still have a few open wounds." He defended himself.

Leilani understood. She was trying to understand Mr. Vanderbilt and take things slow. And by 'things' she meant the kiss at the company gala.

But, Leilani knew now wasn't the right time. Mr. Vanderbilt was opening up to her and she didn't want to ruin the moment. Leilani wasn't exactly sure was she wanted from Mr. Vanderbilt; however, she knew she wanted it to be something valuable. Something wholesome. Something real.

When Mr. Vanderbilt went silent, Leilani looked over at him and analyzed him. He was such a handsome man and for him to go through these things sort of melted Leilani's heart. He didn't deserve any of that.

"That was my third wife." Mr. Vanderbilt finally started speaking again. This caught Leilani off guard. She saw marriage as a this holy, sacred gift from God himself and thought marriage was exclusive for soulmates. 

"Really?" She asked, well more so stated, her eyebrows raised.

He laughed lightly. "Yes. I think I saw a wife as more of an accessory. Something I thought I needed but never really cared for." He released. Leilani nodded. Clearly, he wasn't thinking correctly. 

"Maybe you should just stick with dating." She suggested to him. 

She wasn't in any way implying that they should date. However, she wanted the best for Mr. Vanderbilt. Even if it didn't involve her.

"You think so?" He wondered out loud, staring off. 

"Yes. Hold off on the quick proposes. Get to know the women and take things much slower." Leilani threw her idea out there just as they arrived to her house. 

She hoped her mother wasn't up to chastise her about being slightly intoxicated. She commended herself for carrying on a mature conversation with Mr. Vanderbilt after the drinking she had done.

Grabbing her briefcase and tote bag, she slid over to the door, ready to exit. "Hey, Ms. Jones." Mr. Vanderbilt called out to her as she had just stuck her right foot out the door. 

"Yes, Mr. Vanderbilt." Leilani answered him. 

He swallowed hard, Leilani watched his Adam's apple rise and fall at the action. 

"Would you like to have breakfast before heading to the office tomorrow morning?" He questioned her, his voice weak but also stern.

Leilani's eyes popped open. Had he remembered the kiss? She noted that she had been thinking too hard and hadn't responded back. "I would really like that." She replied back, trying not to sound too excited. 

This is exactly what she wanted. This is what she needed.

Mr. Vanderbilt smiled foolishly, "okay, great. I'll pick you up at seven. Is that okay?" He checked with her. Leilani nodded, happily. 

"That's great. I'll see you in the morning." Leilani assured him. 

"Okay. Good night." He told her. Leilani got out of company car, grinning like an idiot as she walked slowly under the rain, to her door.

She didn't care that her hair was being ruined. She didn't care that her beautiful red suit was being dampened by the intense rain. She was meeting Mr. Vanderbilt for a one-on-one sit down over breakfast.

She'd never been alone with a man before. Let alone one that she was crushing crazy on. Leilani couldn't wait for tomorrow morning.