Chapter 24

Leilani so desperately wanted to throw herself into Carters arms and stay in that position for the rest of day.

She had finished her work much earlier than expected. Not that she had intended to but with Sally's eagerness to constantly talk to her, it was imperative that she kept herself busy.

Leilani also needed to vent. Noelle hadn't been in town for a while. She didn't trust Sally. Carter was who she wanted.

Leilani really tried not to bother him much in the work setting but with the mood she was in, she needed him. And with the work being completed, she actually had a reason to be visiting.

Not wanting to waste anymore time, she grabbed the stack of manuscripts and headed to the back of the office, to his office. She did her familiar knock and waiting for the go ahead to enter.

"Hey." Leilani greeted the love of her life.

Seeing Carters face brought so much comfort and ease to her day. Being in his presence had become immediate peace for Leilani. She needed this.

"What's wrong?" Carter could tell something was off. Leilani's aura felt stressed to him. He sensed it.

"Rough morning." She confessed. "My feet are killing me." Leilani whined.

Carter pointed to the lounge chair in the corner of his office. To Leilani, it resembled one of those couch-chairs in a therapists office.

"Want to relax for a bit?" Carter suggested. He hoped Leilani would take the offer.

Leilani gave him a look. The kind of look that expressed concern. With their relationship already wrapped into office secrets, she didn't want to bring any attention to herself for being in there longer than normal.

"I don't know..." Leilani started.

Carter stood, taking the stack of manuscripts out of her arms, providing her with relief already. He guided her to couch, helping her lay down as he placed a pillow underneath her head. Carter removed the weapons that formed against his ladies feet and squeezed them gently, hoping to relieve some of her pain.

"You do great work here. Relax, okay?" Carter sat beside her. He tapped her forehead with a series of kisses and ran his hand along her side.

Leilani looked up at Carter full of love. "Thank you."

Carter left and came back with a mug of green tea for her. From the tea and the light body massage he gave her, before Leilani knew it, she was napping peacefully in his office.

When Leilani woke, Carter was no longer in the office and the digital clock on his wall told her that it was lunch time.

The timing wasn't important to Leilani. She checked his desk for new manuscripts, which she picked up to take with her. The office was empty around this time as everyone rushed to grab lunch from the cafeteria and surrounding town hotspots.

Leilani took the elevator down and walked a block down to a cafe she had been meaning try: Café Tropical.

This was a great escape for Leilani. She could really use another mental break. She felt amazing after Carters rub down on her and the nap.

Leilani ordered a matcha bubble tea with a ham and swiss on panini bread. Something light.

Her phone buzzed on the table. She expected it to be Carter as she had heard from him after him. Instead, it was someone else she missed.

Noelle: sleepover this Friday!! Not asking I'm demanding and bringing chocolate covered strawberries :) Luv u. Miss u!

Leilani: Luv u!! I've been missing u!! I'll get the strawberry soft serve ;)

Noelle hadn't been around much. They were long overdue for the bestie meetup.

Noelle: how's the hunkie boss??

Leilani: ... we are very much in love now...

Noelle: no fuckin way.

Leilani: lol u missed a lot sis.

Noelle: yea I have :(

Leilani: no worries. I'll fill u in

Noelle: F R I D A Y !

Leilani: FRIDAY

Leilani smiled to herself.

Back at the office, Leilani had been left a series of gifts on her desk. A black box wrapped in a thin white ribbon, a single white rose, and cupcake.

There was a card under the ribbon with the box. Leilani held it close to her chest before reading.

Thank you for everything you do in the office.
~ C

Leilani kissed the card before placing it back inside the envelope. She unraveled the the ribbon and lifted the lid on the box.

Chanel?

Leilani had been gifted her first pair of designer shoes. Her eyes nearly watered at the sight of the shoes. They were a pair of Chanel slingback heels. The tip of the heels were hot pink while the rest of the shoe rapped itself in pink tweed.

Leilani ditched her painful heels and slipped her feet into them. They were comfortable. They were beautiful. She couldn't believe Carter had done this for her.

Leilani brought the rose to her face, pushing it against her nose.

She pulled out her cellphone.

Leilani: thank you thank you thank you :) my feet feel so much better and these are really beautiful.

Carter: I'm glad you like them. I hate seeing you in pain, dear.

Leilani: I love you.

Carter: I love you so much more. Just wanted to show my appreciation.

Leilani: well, you definitely outdid yourself.

Carter: I always will when it comes to you.

Leilani hadn't gotten the chance to respond to Carter's following message before Sally swam to her shore. Honestly, Leilani was starting to view Sally as a shark. She never saw her coming.

"Ooo, la la. Who's the gift from?" Sally wanted so badly to know. She attempted to grab the card but Leilani managed to swipe it from her desk right out of Sally's reach.

"Just a friend, you know?" Leilani kept Sally out of her business.

"A friend buying you Chanel?" Sally was no fool.

"Yes. Is something wrong with that?"

"All I'm saying is, the most a man has bought me was a bottle of water." Sally shook her head in disbelief. "And this was even after sex."

Sally walked away a tad bitter. If Leilani didn't want to spill her beans, she'd make her.

And pushing Zach onto her would do just the trick.

In a twisted way, she hoped this would strengthen their friendship.