the night we first spoke

many found the soft crashing of waves against the sand very claiming— and eloise kennedy was one of those individuals.

she laid in the cool sand, with her eyes closed, listening to the quiet sounds of the atlantic sea.

she had left a party, hosted by her grandparents but by the first hour, she grew tired of the people there. she made sure to greet everyone as they came in but as soon as she caught her moment of freedom, she took it and slipped quietly out of the house.

she had been lying there for about half an hour when her silence was interrupted by a blonde boy.

"mind if i take a seat there?" he asked, pointing beside her. eloise quickly opened her eyes and sat up.

"i was wondering when you were going to come over and stop staring like a creep." eloise patted the spot beside her. jack laughed, slowly sitting down.

"i wanted to make sure you were alone— and actually waiting for me to come over and finally say hello." jack held his hand out. "i'm jack."

"hello, jack. my name is eloise." she shook his hand.

"well louise— do you mind what if i call you that?" jack asked before he proceeded further.

"louise is fine." she quietly spoke, watching him nod his head.

"well louise, i don't know if you know this but—"

"i most likely already know, jack." eloise interrupted.

jack chuckled and shook his head. "cocky, yeah?"

"very," she responded, laying back into the sand.

"i've been meaning to say hello ever since the market— i didn't mean to knock everything out of your hands, while i ran past you. sorry about that." jack apologized.

"i completely forgot about that!" eloise exclaimed. "my tomatoes were bruised! you owe me tomatoes and tomato soap—"

"tomato soap?"

"yes, that's why i bought tomatoes. my soup tasted terrible because my tomatoes were bruised! you owe me." eloise propped herself on her elbows.

"i don't think because your tomatoes were "bruised", it changed the flavor of your soap." jack pointed out.

"mhm, you're wrong. let me cook for you and i'll show you the difference."

"cook for me. i would love to taste the tomato soup."

"maybe i will." eloise turned away, trying to hide her smiling face. "who were you even running away from?"

"what are your thoughts on the ocean?" jack asked, trying to change the topic.

"you didn't answer my question."

"i think that's the point of time changing the subject." jack sarcastically responded.

eloise scoffed. "you should just tell me— you'll tell me sooner or later."

jack was silent for a few moments. "well if you have to know, i may or may not had slept with a married woman—"

"jack! you are terrible—" eloise sat up, stunned.

"i didn't know she was married! She wasn't wearing a ring or anything— and i picked her up in a bar."

eloise stifled a laugh. jack narrowed his eyes at her, which caused her to let her laughter loose.

"don't laugh at me!" jack lightly pushed her. she fell back, laughing. "lousie!"

"you are a dirty man." eloise giggled.

"you probably— what's that word you brits say? you probably shag some fellow every other week." jack responded.

"oh and you wish to be that fellow, yeah?" eloise responded, picking up the carton of cigarettes that fell out of jack's coat.

"i could be." jack responded, watching her open the carton and taking one out.

"i saw you smoking these the other day." eloise held her hand out for a lighter, which jack handed her. "i wanted to give it try."

"you've never smoke a cigarette?" jack questioned her.

"no, just my father's cigars when i was younger and some marijuana from when i went to spain." eloise lit the cigarette.

jack watched her place it in her mouth, taking a small puff. she blew it out, with a sour face. "this is terrible! and the smell? it's horrendous."

she went to throw it but jack grabbed her hand.
"these cost a pretty penny." he took it out of her hand and placed it between his lips.

she placed her chin on her knees, looking out to the ocean. "do you think mermaids are real?"

"mermaids—"  jack choked on the smoke from his cigarette.

"yes, mermaids." eloise said again.

"not at all but that big ass shark— the megalodon was very real."

"you're joking right?"

"should i be? that thing was 100% real."

"jeez jack, not only are you dirty but you're going crazy."

jack narrowed his eyes at her, once again. "you think your so funny, don't you?"

"well i'm hilarious." eloise stood up. "let's go get some dinner, yeah?"

"are we going back to that party or actually going to get dinner?" jack asked, throwing his cigarette in the sand. he stood up and step on it, making sure the flame went out.

"i was thinking burgers." eloise said.

"try saying burger in an American accent."

"burr—gerr." eloise struggled to say the word. "cheese bur—ger."

jack laughed, holding his arm out for eloise. eloise wrapped her arm around his.

"to the pub." eloise pointed to the small building that lined the coastline.

"to the pub, we go."