- the pub

"where are you from?" louise asked, resting her chin on her propped hands.

"wisconsin." jack responded, watching the bartender placing two-pint glasses of beer in front of the couple.

"thank you," louise said, earning a small nod from the man. "tell me about this wisconsin."

"they have some of the coldest winters around," jack shivered, just by thinking about it. "my father and i would go ice fishing— do you know what—"

"i know what ice fishing is, jack! we do it all the time in the north." louise said, taking a long sip of beer as jack continued.

"oh i just assumed you didn't because you know, you seem kinda like an indoor girl." jack jokingly spoke, earning a stern look from louise.

"you think you're so funny—"

"i know i am. why else would i be cracking jokes?" jack sarcastically responded.

"cocky much?"

"very much."

the two sat there for about an hour and a half, talking and eating their late-night dinner. a majority of the folks that were also in the pub left, and they were the only ones in there until they left.

"mates, just to let you know, we do close in a few minutes." the bartender tells them.

"let me pay you for our dinner." eloise pulled out her small clutch, digging for her pounds.

"i'll be back with your change—"

"no, keep it." louise said, standing up from the bar stool. "let's go jack."

the two exited the pub and were surprisingly hit with a gust of cold wind. louise twirled around until she reaches the sidewalk.

jack followed behind the girl. "what now?"

"would you like to walk me home?" louise asked, rubbing her arms trying to keep some warmth.

jack noticed, and quickly took off his jacket. he put it over her shoulders, making sure she was warm. "of course, i'll walk you home. what kind of gentlemen would i be if i let you walk home with no protection from a man?"

louise giggled and wrapped her arm around his. the two began walking towards louise's residence, which wasn't too far away.

"la casa de kennedy?" jack said, as louise led them to the house.

"si, mi casa es su casa." louise pushed the door open, as jack followed behind.

"first off, you're fucking loaded." jack said as he stood in the foyer of the house. "and second of all, why aren't your doors locked?"

"i lost the key a few weeks ago— told the staff to leave it open." louise spoke as she grabbed onto the railing of her staircase, trying to take off her heels.

jack quickly kneeled and helped her take off her heels. "the staff?"

"yes- a small but mighty staff." she said as jack stood up, holding her shoes. "follow along, blondie."

louise had taken off jack's jacket and placed it over the railing. she walked up the stairs with caution, now feeling the slight effects of alcohol.

"you know jack—"

"what?"

"your the first man in my home." louise threw her door opened and quickly made her way to her bed.

jack stifled a laugh, watching the girl just casually lay. "do you need anything else before i leave?"

"don't leave, jack" louise raised her head. "stay the night."

"you want me to stay the night?"

"yes, isn't that what i just said?" she threw a pillow onto the wooden floor and pointed to the linen closet in the hallway. "there are blankets in the closet."

jack gasped. "you think i'm going to stay the night and sleep on your floor? i am a man of class— i have integrity."

jack picked the pillow up and threw it back onto the bed. he pulled his boots off and took almost every article of clothing except his undergarmets and white long sleeve.

"move."

"jack, if you don't give me my space—" lousie said as jack pulled the sheets over.

"goodnight, senorita kennedy." jack chuckled, getting into bed. "i learned that one in spain."

louise groaned as she got up to get dressed for bed. she pulled jack's jacket off, throwing it on a chair. she quickly went into her bathroom, changing into her silk sleeping slip.

jack's eyes widened as he watched her get into bed. "putting your best on for me?"

louise ignored him as she made a divider between them.

"louise, a pillow divider?" jack asked as she finally got into bed.

"yes. it's to keep your grimy hands off me." louise said.

jack chuckled. "goodnight, lou."

"goodnight, jack."