Chapter III

"So... She's going into Witness Protection?" Beca clarified with Cheif Abernathy after the woman told Beca her mission.

"Yes," she nodded. "She is being moved to Los Angeles and put in an apartment there."

"Los Angeles? You're moving her across the country?"

"Yes. She witnessed a murder that was connected to one of the most notorious drug rings in the state of New York. She needs to be as far away from them as possible. We've already made arrangements for her apartment and it's just been set up with security systems and more. You'll be living with her for the duration of her stay."

"How long will she be there for?"

"Until the cartel is no longer active."

"But... That was the same cartel that killed Jesse... You know how hard they are to find, let alone catch."

"I do, but Chloe saw the leader's face and we've been able to identify him. When we catch him then the whole cartel will be shut down. We're close this time, Beca, we're really close. I know you said that you weren't ready to go back out into the field but this isn't one of your usual full-on missions. All you need to do is look out for this woman and make sure she's protected."

"I... I don't know if I can do that, Gail... I really can't."

"Beca, I know you're doubting yourself right now but you need to push those thoughts aside and believe that you can do this just like I know you can do this. All we need to do is find the leader and arrest him for murder then the rest of the charges will follow. This'll be over before you know it."

"I don't know..."

"Beca, look at me."

The brunette sighed before obeying.

"I know this is hard for you but you did everything you could to save Jesse. He wouldn't want you to be blaming yourself over something that wasn't even your fault. He knew the risks as did you but things happen in the field that we can't control. Jesse's death was NOT in vain and it was NOT your fault. We're going to catch the bastards that did this and end their so-called business."

"How can you be so sure though? We've been trying to get these guys for years and nothing we seem to do works. They always find loopholes and they get away. They are slipperier than a snake."

"We're not giving up on them, Beca - we can't."

"I'm not saying to give up on them. I know we can't do that as the FBI. I'm just saying that it's going to be tough and I wouldn't get your hopes up on catching them."

"I feel the same way sometimes but I can't give up hope. This is a cruel world we live in and sometimes hope is all we have left."

Beca sighed and raked a hand through her hair.

"Please, Beca, I know you're going through a hard time and if you can't do this for the Bureau, then do it for Jesse. Do it for yourself. It'll be good for you to get back out there. This mission isn't a hard one as you know since you've done these things before. Plus, you'll be going across the country, which is far away from where the cartel operates."

"They operate all around the country."

"I know but their headquarters are in New York. You will still need to be vigilant but the chances of you running into them over there are highly unlikely. The woman just needs some reassurance and protection for a little while. See how you go and if you feel like you can't do it then get in contact with me and we'll swap you out for someone else. So what do you say?"

Beca sat back in her seat and looked through the case file again. It was a simple mission. Beca had done Witness Protection cases before and they were easy enough. They were probably the easiest types of missions out there but even Beca was doubting herself. She doubted everything about herself but Gail was right. If she couldn't do this for anyone, she needed to do it for Jesse and she owned him that.