Chapter 22 (Part 1)

Chapter 22

*Victoria*

When we arrive at Aaron's apartment, we shed our winter gear and make hot chocolate. I lean against the kitchen counter as we wait for the water to boil. I look around the small apartment I've become so comfortable in over the months. Everything in this apartment screams Aaron, from the sporty wall décor and style of ikea furniture he likes, to the unbelievably healthy foods he keeps in his fridge and the hidden snacks in the cabinet. If Grace were to move in here, all of that would change. This would no longer be Aaron's apartment. It would become Aaron and Grace's apartment.

"Marshmallows or no marshmallows?" Aaron suddenly asks me as he mixes the cocoa powder with the hot water.

"Marshmallows please." I reply.

"You spaced there for a moment." He drops a few marshmallows in each cup before sliding the closest mug towards me. "It's what I said earlier isn't it?"

"No, I was just thinking about tomorrow. Which you still haven't answered me about."

"Don't change the subject. We have to talk about this. If we don't it could break us later, and I will not let that happen."

"I don't want to worry about something that may not even happen."

"Okay, then let's talk hypothetically. What if Grace decides to move out of her apartment next month? Or what if her parents kick her out? She won't have nearly enough money to rent a place in this area let alone anywhere else in the city. With Sophie in the picture, a dorm is out of the question. Not to mention she'd be waitlisted anyway at this point. Where else would she have to go?"

"I don't know, Aaron." I sigh. "I just hate the idea of you two living together. Can you blame me for that?"

"No, but I also can't leave her on the street."

"I know." I sigh. This is our first disagreement since being together and I don't see a solution to fixing this. I'm happy that Grace has decided to make this change. I just wish my relationship with Aaron wasn't at stake because of it. "Can we put a pin in this and just enjoy our time together? It's Christmas eve after all."

"Yeah, okay." He agrees. "We'll talk about it some other time. Want to watch Netflix? You can pick what we watch."

"Okay." I smile. "Can you pop some popcorn while I pick?"

"Sure." He says. "Pick something good."

I go into the living room and sit on the couch before turning on the TV and scrolling through Netflix. I glance back in the kitchen at Aaron who waits near the microwave as the popcorn pops. It's only been a couple weeks since Aaron and I got back together, and already there's a slight strain on our relationship. What's worse is it's the same strain we had before. I'm starting to wonder if Aaron and I can really work out when it's more than just the two of us in this relationship.

***

It's been hours since I arrived at Aaron's apartment. We ordered Chinese takeout a few hours ago. Now the empty boxes sit on the coffee table before us. Feeling slightly cold and a little tired, I pull the blanket we're using further up to cover my neck before resting my head on Aaron's shoulder. He tenses at my touch for just a moment before returning to normal.

"Vicky..." Aaron starts, but he's cut off by my phone chiming. I sit up and grab it from the end table. A text from Nadine.

Nadine: Hey, you're staying at your mom's tonight for the holiday, right? Donovan wants to stay over so I just want to make sure.

Well I know what "Donovan staying over" is code for. However, I wasn't planning to stay over at my mom's place, because that's not where I actually am.

"Everything okay?" Aaron asks.

"Yeah. It's just Nadine."

"She worried about when you're getting home? It's almost midnight. You're out past your usual time."

"Actually, I'd say she's worried about me coming home at all. Donovan is there and 'wants to stay over'." I say as I make air quotes around the last bit. "She thinks I'm at my mom's right now, which is where I'm going tomorrow. So obviously she'd think I'd be staying over tonight."

"Well, why can't you?" He asks with a small shrug.

"Well, like you said, it's almost midnight. My mom is definitely sleeping right now, so I'd rather not bother her."

"I meant you could sleep over here." He says with a small smile. My eyes grow wide as my cheeks begin to warm. Sleep here? So soon? How is he suggesting that when we just got back together? "Relax." He says, as he notices my reaction. "Because I know you, I know you don't want to cut Nadine's night short. If you stay here, she can spend more time with Donovan and you have a place to stay. You can have the bed and I'll make myself comfortable on the couch."

"Aaron, that's really sweet of you but I don't think..."

"It's not too soon." He cuts me off. "You're just sleeping over and nothing more. Besides, it's not like we're complete strangers. I'll go grab something more comfortable for you to sleep in."

He stands from the couch and disappears down the small hallway. I sigh and lean forward as I rest my head in my hands. Why is it bothering me so much that I'll be sleeping here? Like he said, we're not complete strangers. This is nothing compared to our time at the beach house. We even shared a bed then. I'm not sure if it's because I'm still not used to being around Aaron like this, or if I'm afraid of being around Aaron like this.

"I left everything in the room on the bed." Aaron suddenly says as he comes back into the living room. I look up and run my fingers through my hair as he returns to his spot on the couch. His brows furrow slightly as he examines me. "You're blushing." He says with a slight smile. "Are you that worried about sleeping over?"

"No." I shake my head. "I'm not worried at all. Why would I be?"

"Do I make you nervous?" He leans in and my cheeks become a deeper shade of pink as I lean back. "I do, don't I?" A playful smile spreads across his face. "You know, you say you don't have feelings for me yet, but your reactions always say something different. Your mouth is saying one thing, but your heart is saying another. Am I right?"

Is he right? I know I'm not in love with him yet. Not like I used to be. However, there are moments like these when he makes me nervous and shy. There are moments when I wish to be around him, to see his face, and hear his voice. I really like Aaron, but I can't help but be a little guarded when it comes to our relationship. I refuse to let what happened last time happen again.

"I have feelings for you, Aaron. Just not as strong yet. I'm in the like stage. It's going to take me some time to get to where you are."

"Okay, fair enough." He says, leaning back to sit up straight. "At least you feel something, right?" He gives me a pain laced smirk.

"Good night Aaron." I lean over to place a kiss on his cheek before getting up from the couch.

"Good night." He says.

I go to Aaron's bedroom and close the door behind me. The clothes Aaron put out for me sit at the edge of the bed. I slip on the t-shirt that stops just below my hips and turn out the lights before climbing into bed. The pillow has the faint smell of Aaron's shampoo and instead of finding it comforting, it makes me feel slightly guilty. Our relationship proves to be difficult for a couple reasons. Not only is Grace a factor again, but our different feelings for each other may be an issue. I'm starting to wonder whether this is all going to work out or not.

***************************************************************************************

Hello. Sorry this is another half chapter. I have about a page and a half left before the other half is finished. I hate uploading in parts, but it's the only option I have to get an update for you guys. As always, thank you for your patience and concerns for this story.