Chapter 12 (Part 2)

I walk into the bathroom where Sophie is already in the bath. She splashes water as she plays with her toys.

"Sophie, you know you're not supposed to call people on my phone." I say as I put the toilet lid down and sit on top. "We've had this discussion already."

"I know. I'm sorry." She says, looking up at me with sad eyes. "I really miss Vicky. She's my favorite."

"I know, sweetie. She's my favorite too. But tell me the rule about my phone."

"I may use your phone only for games and emergencies."

"Yes, good job. Now let me wash your hair. It's late and we both have school tomorrow."

*Victoria*

I wake with a headache. The sun streaming through the window only making my head throb more. I look over at Nadine's bed where she still sleeps in a ball beneath her blanket. As usual, I reach over for my phone and my heart sinks at the sight of my missed alarm for class, and no good-morning text from Colton. The events from last night flood back to my mind and an overwhelming sadness takes over.

I force the tears back as I swing my legs over the side of the bed and get up. I frown at the bags of chips, candy wrappers, and empty soda cans still laying on the floor and TV stand. It looks as if we've had a raging party rather than a girl's night.

I trudge to the coffee machine and set it to the strongest setting before hitting the brew button. The smell of coffee fills the room and Nadine begins to stir. She sits up, her hair a mess and a frown on her face.

"Morning." I say quietly as I begin to clean up our mess.

"What time is it?" She stretches and I hear her bones crack.

"It's about 8:30."

"Ugh, it's so early. I wanted to sleep in 'til at least 10:00. Is there enough coffee for me, because I have the worst headache right now?"

"Yeah, there's enough."

The room is silent for a moment as I pick up the last remaining pieces of trash and throw them away. When the coffee finishes brewing, I pour two cups and hand one to Nadine.

"How are you feeling?" Nadine asks, breaking the silence. "Any better?"

"No." I answer honestly. "I checked my phone for Colton's good morning text, and it hurt that there wasn't one there for me to read, let alone reply to."

"It'll all be okay. It'll take some time, but you'll get through this. Besides, you have me here to help."

"I know. Thanks." I smile.

***

After a shower and slipping on clean clothes, I lay on my bed and watch TV. Nadine sits cross-legged on her bed as she talks and laughs on the phone with Donovan. She lets out yet another laugh and a pang of disgust overcomes me. I know I'm only bitter because I no longer have Colton, but still the sound of her happiness makes me upset.

There's a knock at the door and I groan as I'm forced to leave my bed. I open the door and I look at the man in front of me. He's older with dark graying hair. He wears black pants and a matching black button up. He holds a bouquet of pink carnations.

"Hi, I'm looking for a," He looks at the clipboard in his other hand. "Victoria Daniels."

"Yeah, that's me."