Sleep

Written by @Bekkoni. Plot minorly changed.

The Justice League piled into the Javelin, bowing their last ceremonial goodbyes to the envoy from Gh'Thrr.

Thankfully, they'd managed to avert interplanetary war, but they had to spend four days on the other side of the cosmic belt.

Clark took a seat towards the back, feeling immensely out of place in his corduroy jacket. They'd worn their costumes most of the time, but on the last day the Ghrrians had insisted on seeing 'normal Earth wear.'

Still, it was worth it just to see Bruce, uncomfortable in a borrowed t-shirt, jeans and jacket.

If he could see Bruce. God, Clark hoped he wasn't arguing with the Ghrrian prime minister over the correct classification of butternut squash again. That in itself had nearly caused a war.

Clark craned his neck to see the doorway and saw Bruce finally come in. The Dark Knight was hiding a yawn behind his hand. Clark grinned and patted the seat next to him.

"If you're insisting on autopilot, then I at least get the window seat," Bruce said. Clark shrugged and scooted over. Diana perched in the row ahead of them, leaning over her chair to talk to Clark, and Wally sat next to her, absorbed in a huge stack of comics.

John and Shayera were seated on the other side of the aisle, together (as always), and J'onn was up front next to an empty seat, eyes closed in meditation.

Diana leaned over and grinned at Bruce. "You look tired."

"I'm not," He turned on one of the electronic tablets he'd designed for the Watchtower and started running a program on the Watchtower's hydroponic systems.

"I don't think I ever saw you sleep these last four days."

"You introduced me as the security officer. Obviously, I had to be constantly observant."

Clark stared at him. "I introduced you as that because I was introducing us all as having some sort of traditional role in their language. I didn't think you'd take it so seriously as to not sleep. Honestly. Four days?"

Bruce shrugged. "I've gone far longer than that more often than you'd think. Now be quiet; I told Oliver I'd finish this report."

Clark sighed and with his left hand cracked open a paperback Lois had gotten him last week. It was very good, and he was absorbed within a few pages. Around him, Wally and Shayera dozed off, still tired from nights of sleeping in the Ghirrans' curved rock-hard beds.

                               ○●○

"We're home," Diana said.

Clark looked up from the last chapter of his book. There was no way six hours had passed—and yet here they were in the Watchtower docking bay.

Diana was standing in the aisle next to him, smiling.

"What?" Clark asked.

"You must have been pretty absorbed in that book," she said, and pointed towards the window. Wally snickered.

Clark looked over and found Bruce snuggled up and asleep against his shoulder. He looked utterly peaceful, mouth slightly open and bangs falling in his face. Basically as un-Batman-y as was possible. Diana borrowed Wally's cell phone and snapped a picture.

"I need evidence," she said.

"He'll kill you for doing that," Clark shifted and froze when Bruce mumbled something in his sleep. He handed Diana his book and carefully lifted Bruce off the chair. If he moved slowly…

Batman's eyes opened in a snap. "Put me down. Now."

"Go back to sleep," Clark said, "You were much cuter then."

"I am not cute. Ever," Bruce gave him a glare that could freeze lightning and wriggled out of his arms. "And I wasn't sleeping."

"You have corduroy lines on your cheek from Clark's jacket," Diana said.

Bruce touched his face, grumbled, and tried to rub the print off.

"And I have a picture!" Wally said, bright as ever. Then he saw Bruce's face and started running.

"GIVE ME THE PHONE WALLACE!" Bruce bellowed and lunged at him.

Wally dashed out of the Javelin, with the Dark Knight in close pursuit.

Clark sighed and turned to Diana, "At least the quiet was nice while it lasted." Then he went to save Flash from Batman.

Comment, Like, and Follow :3
Words: 702