Chapter One

Chapter One

Earth

While I was fearing it, it came,

But came with less of fear

Because that fearing it so long

Had almost made it dear.

There is a fitting a dismay - 

A fitting a despair - 

'Tis harder knowing it is due

Than knowing it is here.

The trying on the utmost

The morning it is new

Is terribler than wearing it

A whole existence through.

Emily Dickinson

“Hanne, honey, we’re here.” Mom turned around to face me, a weak smile on her elegant face. Her blue eyes pleaded with me as we whizzed by the sign that mocked, “Welcome to Hanover! Population 358,” As if I wanted to stay in this boring town. I turned back to the window.

“We’ll be back from Egypt in eight weeks.” Dad turned and looked at me. “You’ll love staying with Grandma Olivia.” Yeah, I thought, I’ll love spending my summer with a boring old lady.

We pulled up to the big Victorian house, surrounded by a towering forest. The mailbox read Graye Family in faded letters, 1050 Baker DriveI stepped out of our beat up mini van and popped open the trunk. “Now Hanne, remember to behave yourself, and watch out for your grandmother.” Dad said as he lifted my suitcases out of the trunk. He ran his hand through his auburn hair and looked apologetic. “Okay?”

I didn’t get a chance to reply. The screen door creaked as someone pushed it open and a small, thin lady stepped onto the porch. “Benjamin! Alice! Oh and look, its little Hanne, look how big you have gotten! The last time I saw you, you were still drinking from a bottle!” Grandma Olivia cried. I rolled my eyes. Oh, get over it woman, I’m fourteen now. She hurried down the stairs and wrapped me in a tight but dainty hug. She released me after a moment and went to hug my parents. My tall mother bent down and hugged her in that graceful, elegant manor she always had (I guess, judging by Grandma Liv’s dainty hug, that was where she got it from) and my father hugged her awkwardly. It was kind of funny. Up close, I could see how Mom and Grandma Liv looked alike and where I got my features from. I mean, I’m not gorgeous but I’m not ugly either. We all had the same elongated features and elegant figures. I’ve always been kind of willowy and tall. 

I headed up the wooden stairs and set my bags in front of the door, flopping down on top of them. The heat and the blue sky seemed to mock me. First off, let me tell you something. I hate Maine. I’m a Washington girl all the way. Seattle is my home sweet home. I’m used to the gray skies and the sounds of the city; I don’t belong here.

And don’t get me started on what an utter bore Hanover is. There is absolutely nothing to do, unless you count Finley from down the road. But hanging out with Finley is worse than doing nothing. He’s a nerd, and the last time I saw him was when we were nine and his family came to visit Grandma Liv. I punched him in the face because he tried to kiss me. Served the nerd right.

“Hanne? We’re leaving!” Mom called, her soft voice carrying up to the porch. I took the stairs slowly and dragged my feet in the gravel. I hugged my parents halfheartedly as they told me to be good and they loved me. And then they were in the car, my mother waving (daintily of course) as they drove away, off to spend their summer in Egypt.