Chapter Eight

Chapter Eight

Eternity

This is my letter to the World

That never wrote to Me --

The simple News that Nature told --

With tender Majesty

Her Message is committed

To Hands I cannot see --

For love of Her -- Sweet -- countrymen --

Judge tenderly -- of Me

Emily Dickinson

          The halls of Grayeveire Manor had been empty for decades; the four girls had parted after their father’s death and their mother’s disappearance. The rooms were empty, the corridors silent.  The only sound was the click of Tamsin’s shoes as she walked slowly down the marble halls, memories of her childhood flitting across her mind.

          Devodie, their fragile mother’s sidekick, was always helping Olina, watching over the others girls. Tamsin had always envied and clashed with her for that; being second oldest was the worst. She wasn’t the baby, she wasn’t the favorite: she was an extra who dreamed of being like her sisters-kind and happy. Devodie hadn’t paid any attention to her; she had always been taking care of Lysander or laughing with her mother. Devodie had been a lot happier then. Her cold demeanor came after Olina disappeared. 

          Sable had never minded being in the middle with Tamsin-or at least, if she did, she didn’t show it. She was the quiet reader, kind and generous. Her love was everlasting, her studious yet humorous demeanor making her the kind of person you always wanted to be around. Sable and their father had always been close-his death devastated her.  

          Lysander-well, Lysander was Lysander. Despite her name actually being for a boy (Olina had always wanted a son but gave up after four girls) she was probably the softest, happiest, most feminine one of them all.  She was fragile like her mother; she had been sickly all her life. But that didn’t stop her from playing out in the fields with the others during those rare moments when they all explored together.

          Tamsin. She was the hardest to describe. Tamsin thought about herself, trying to describe the way she lived. She had always been the loner, the one who talked with her dolls and played hide and seek by herself. When she did play with the others, it was either with Sable or with them all together.

          Tamsin sighed. They all had such different personalities and opinions, and they older they got the fiercer they fought. She wished they could all just get along, even though she knew most of it was her fault.

          She sighed again. Life was just so complicated.  Her footsteps stopped at room at the end of the hall, filled with ghostly furniture covered with graying sheets. She shook the dust off of one of the chairs and sat on the fraying material. She didn’t care about anything anymore; all she wanted was to fade into the memories.

          “And they all lived happily ever after. The end,” Olina said, shutting the book. Her delicate form rested on that same chair, her blue eyes smiling. Her long blond hair was twisted up into a bun, curls escaping.

          Lysander jumped up from her seat on the floor. “Read it again!” She cried. Olina laughed.

          “Not tonight child,” she said, “I’m tired.” She opened her arms wide and all four girls ran to her. She hugged them close and said goodnight, kissing each of their foreheads. “Sleep tight girls.”

          “Goodnight Mama, sleep tight!” They chorused. They raced out of the room, giggling and shoving, and turned the corner straight into their father.

          “Whoa there, where’s the fire?” Adric said teasingly, his dark amber eyes laughing. They giggled again and he swung Sable up into his arms. He ran a hand through his dark hair. “I think its time you all were in bed.”

          “That’s where we were headed!” Said Tamsin, laughing. Her wavy locks bounced on her shoulders.

          “Well good!” He said, smiling. “I’ll walk with you then.” Still carrying Sable, he headed down the hall. The girls ran after them, their dresses billowing behind them.

          They ran to each of their rooms and zipped into their pajamas. “Goodnight Papa,” came from each room, and one by one each room went dark.

          Tamsin sighed shakily and closed her eyes to block the tears. She missed her parents so much. They were the only things keeping all of the sisters together.

♦•♦•♦

          The road leading across Decca and through the Eternal Forest was long and tiresome. Every bump in the road irritated Devodie more as she sat in the back of the carriage worrying and scribbling into her journal.

She was nervous to meet with Tamsin. She didn’t even really know why they were clashing so much. Tamsin had just always been like that, and when their mother disappeared, she grew worse. They had only been teenagers then, and her hate for Devodie had grown. Devodie didn’t exactly hate Tamsin; she just didn’t want to put up with any of her bullying remarks and obnoxious tones. It was what really made her mad.

She was nervous for Lysander; her sister had never been this sick before. And she didn’t know if she could go on living if she didn’t have Lysander’s warm presence beside her.

          She was nervous about all of the war and pain that filled the air, thick and horrible. She knew that once the fighting started, it would never stop.

          And she was nervous to return home, uncertain about the memories walking through that door would bring.

          The carriage stopped abruptly and the footman came to open the door. “Here we are, your highness, let me grab your things.” He helped her out and carried her things to the door. Devodie sighed and followed after him, her boots digging into the steep path. She crossed the bridge and stood in front of the familiar doors. The entrance was large and grand, even though she was much taller now than she had been a long time ago. She sighed, her heart beating quickly, and stepped through the doors.

          And the memories washed over her. 

♦•♦•♦

          Sable stood in the forest surrounding the castle. Grayeveire loomed behind her. She was afraid to go in, to hear her sisters bicker while another lay dying. It just wasn’t right. Her long cardinal red gown swirled around her as she turned to look at the castle again. Fear rippled in her chocolate eyes.  Her feet moved silently in the forest as she slowly walked back towards the castles. She was being selfish and childish. Who said they were even going to fight?

          She began to run, breathing hard and pumping her legs, ignoring the branches that snagged at her dress. “Selfish, selfish,” she thought as her mind raced with her body. She needed to get over her herself and her immature fears. If they fought, she would stop it. It was simple as that.

          She stopped when she reached the bridge and stared at the archway. Her slippers made no noise on the wood as she slowly crossed the bridge and stepped in. Devodie and Tamsin stood in the great hall.

          “There you are! We were beginning to think you’d never show.” Tamsin said and hugged Sable. Devodie did the same. Sable looked at the two of them back ad forth.

          “Yes, here I am,” she said, suspicious. “How is everything?” She asked slowly.

          Tamsin laughed. “You mean with me and Devi? We’re on our best behavior, promise!” Devodie winced at the name Devi. It reminded her of Lysander.

          Sable wasn’t fooled. “Just remember, I’ll be watch-“

          The sound of carriage wheels cut her off. All three of them turned to see the horses pull the carriage up to the bridge where it stopped. The Marchan flag waved in the breeze. Lysander was here.