Chapter Fourteen

Chapter Fourteen

Eternity

The girl goes dancing there

On the leaf-sown, new-mown, smooth

Grass plot of the garden;

Escaped from bitter youth,

Escaped out of her crowd,

Or out of her black cloud.

Ah, dancer, ah, sweet dancer…

Sweet Dancer-William Butler Yeats

As dusk set over Grayeveire Manor, Marit still tended to her queen before she went to sleep herself. She tucked the blankets around Lysander and left the room but stopped when a noise stood out around her. She heard a sharp gasp behind her and turned to see her Queen, eyes open, sitting up, fully alive. Marit stood for a moment, shocked, but stumbled out of it. She rang the bell crazily, running through halls.

“She’s awake!” She called repeatedly, searching the manor for the sisters. Her voice was hoarse by the time she found Sable angrily stomping down the hall where her old room was, the place she was staying for now.

Marit grabbed her arm, breathing heavily. “Lysander…is…awake,” she huffed out.

“What?” Sable spun around, almost knocking Marit over. She ran down the hallway and brushed past Devodie causing her to stumble back against the wall.

“What’s going on?” The servant and the queen ignored her and continued to run down the hall. Devodie followed. “Wait!” She struggled to run with her heavy gown clutched in her hands and she hurried after them. Her long dark hair tumbled out of its messy bun, pins littering the stone. She kept running, ignoring it.

The other girls were not far ahead but the kept a fast pace as they weaved through the halls. Sable burst into Lysander’s room first to see her sister sitting by the window, her knees drawn to her chest.

“Oh Lysander,” Sable cried and burst into tears. She ran to the other girl and swept her up in her shaking arms. Lysander laughed softly and wrapped her arms around Sable.

“Careful sister, I am not fully well yet.” Sable jumped back a bit and smoothed her sister’s hair. 

“Sander.” Sable stepped aside at the sound of Devodie’s voice as the Winter Queen ran to the frail girl. She clutched her hands before hugging her close. “I knew you would wake up.” Devodie whispered in Lysander’s ear. The Spring Queen just clutched her tighter.

“How could I leave you Devi?”

Devodie gave Lysander a rueful smile and stood, kissing her on top of her head. Tamsin stepped into the room.

“What’s all the commo-” She stopped and smiled at Lysander. “Look who is up.” She hugged her sister softly and stepped back, a little nervous around the others. Lysander saw this and surveyed the scene.

“What happened?” Her blue eyes narrowed as her sisters shifted uncomfortably.

“Nothing dear, you have to rest. You are important right now.” Sable helped Lysander to her bed and tucked the blankets around her. “Are you ready to tell us what happened? I’m afraid we’re all still in the dark with that one.”

Tamsin laughed slightly. “Give her time to breathe, Belle.” Sable huffed and fixed the blankets around Lysander.

“I’m sorry Lysander, whenever you feel like talking.”

          Lysander laughed softly. “I’m fine sister, I’m able to talk.” She took a deep breath. “But before I start, I want you all to know that I am not blaming anyone. This is only what I know. And I don’t want anyone interrupting.” She gave a stern look to Devodie and Tamsin before looking at Marit. “Marit, could you run and inform the messenger that I am awake and I will be returning to Marcha soon?” Marit nodded, curtseyed, and dashed out the door.