Chapter Six

Chapter Six

Eternity

The day is cold, and dark, and dreary

It rains, and the wind is never weary;

The vine still clings to the mouldering wall,

But at every gust the dead leaves fall,

And the day is dark and dreary…

The Rainy Day - Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

          The main hall of the Spring Palace was silent. Only Lysander and Rain remained; the servants and assistants had gone to their bed chambers. Lysander lovingly stroked the buck, keeping her eyes fixed on the doors of the Great Hall. She waited. And waited.

          The moonlight seeped through the tall windows and spilled across the floor. It cast shadows on the stone and fell on the heavy oak doors, as if it were a spotlight, waiting for the star of the show.

          A noise stood out in the silence. Carriage wheels and horseshoes crunched on the stone path. Lysander recognized it immediately and rose to her feet. The doors swung open and in walked the “star”, her faithful wolf on her heels. Devodie was here.

          Lysander ran to her sister and hugged her close. Devodie smiled and returned the embrace, her cold demeanor gone at the sight of her best friend.

“Devi, you’re here, you’re here!” Lysander sang. Devodie laughed.

“Yes, dear, I am.” The two sisters pulled apart and got a good look at each other.  Devodie gasped. “Sander look at you! You’re withering away!” The Winter Queen remarked.

“Hush,” Lysander said and playfully slapped her sister’s hand away from her thin frame, “I’m perfectly fine. Besides, it’s late, and you are my guest, so I believe its time I show you to your room.”

She looped her arm through Devodie’s and led her up the stairs. Lysander called to a servant to bring her sister’s things up. They stopped on the second floor of the palace.

“Here is your room dear. Make sure you’re up bright and early tomorrow so we can walk along the meadows.” Lysander said.

 Devodie and Sorrow Star walked into the grand room. “I wouldn’t miss it for the world,” said the Winter Queen.

Lysander smiled. “Goodnight.”

Devodie smiled back. “Goodnight, sweet dreams.”

Only Devodie and Sorrow Star remained in the room. She crawled into the big, luxurious bed. The wind seeped through the window and snuffed out the candle, making everything dark. But Devodie was already asleep.       

♦•♦•♦

          Bright sunshine streamed through the windows of one of the Autumn Palace’s many dressing rooms. Sable stood atop the wooden stool, her arms spread wide. Blood red fabric spilled onto the floor, elegantly wrapped around her small frame. She sighed and stretched. Her curly auburn locks bounced as she turned her head.

          “Kimber, how much longer do I have to stand up here?” The impatient queen asked, her brown eyes twinkling with amusement. The seamstress looked up from the hem of the beautiful gown.

          “I’m sorry your highness, I am almost finished. Just a few more stitches…alright, that’s it.” Kimber stood and stretched. She looked at the queen with awe. “Your highness, you look…magnificent,” she breathed.

          Sable’s eyes grew wide. “Really? Reveal the mirror, please; I’d like to see for myself.”

          Kimber turned the floor length mirror to face the queen. Sable gasped.