Chapter 1

I was running,my legs practically flying underneath me!I felt like my heart was burning,and my chest was beating faster then it should be.I felt like i was going to just trip and land on my face because i ran so fast everything around me turning into motionless blurs of colors.I heard my self breathing and gasping for more oxygen.I remembered my 3rd grade PE teacher telling me to breathe through my nose,not my mouth.I started to ,even though it barely helped at all.Soon enough my nostrils kind of burned.I turned the corners of the houses and ran faster,i looked ahead and around for a place to hide so he wouldnt  catch me.I found a wooden fence side door slightly opened and ran as fast as i could go and opened the door and closed it and locked it.I instantly found a hole and held the palm of my hand over my mouth so my rough breathing wouldnt make a sound.I looked through the hole and waited as my heart jumped,scared to death.I seen him run past and then stop catching his breath as he bent over and put his palms on his knees breathing hard.He groaned and waved his hand over and slowly but surely walked back the other way,finally giving up.I slid down the wooden door and put my face in my knees,trying to breathe.Then reached in my side pocket of my jeans for my inhaler and took as many  deep breathes as possible.

I cringed taking off my shoes,id been running for an hour. I rubbed my feet and seen they were kind of bloody and winced at them as they burned when i took off the socks that were stuck to the small sore wounds.I sighed and finally looked up to realize i was in someones backyard.I bite my lip not knowing if i should go back out there or not,or if i should stay and see if the people who live here might help me.I decided on the second option hoping that theyd be kind and would do so.I walked out to the front door and rung the door bell watching my back and the side pavement.The door was dark blue,and the house was a white two story.I chewed on my lip looking around on the ground,unable to look into the strangers eyes as they opened the door.I trembled trying to find words,not helping that my voice was raspy.I knew whoever it was ,was probably looking at my skin,and how damaged it was from the abuse.

"please,help me.." I choked out pleadingly,looking at my feet,my screwed up shoes in one hand. I felt ashamed and disgusted with myself having to ask a stranger for help.I wiped my cheeks from the dirt and tears,and they were sore from the big bruise that i felt across the cheek bone.

"Oh honey,yes ofcourse ,come in,come in!"she said her voice sounded elderly.I looked up at her,a woman who looked about 60 had a worried expression on her face.She had a light pink robe on and wore a floral nightgown,and white slippers on.A cat meowed behind her for attention.I tried to smile,and said thank you quietly as she ushered me in.I walked into a warm living room,the floor wooden and a lamp and an arm chair in the corner,a long white leather couch in the middle of the room and a television in front.

"sit ,you must be tired,you poor thing.."she motioned to the couch.I looked at it then to my clothing and frowned more,i couldnt mess up her clean couch.

"i dont want to get it dirty.."i said sadly,wishing i could sit somehow because my feet hurt real bad and it almost made me tear up at the stinging and aches of my feet.She ushered me into the kitchen to sit at the small white table.I sighed cringing at my sore and scratched up feet.She grabbed a wash cloth as she called it and using warm water as she wiped the dirt off of my face,i felt so exhausted and weak.It felt like i could barely even lift up my own limbs without the heavy feeling in them.She pursed her lips and looked at the bruise along my cheek bone,my jaw and the cut across my other cheek and frowned looking at my black eye.I looked away as she asked me to tell her what had happened.I didnt have anything to lose,so i did.I told her everything,and i mean Everything.That included me running away from my older brothers house,that my step brother was an alcoholic ever since our mom died,and my dad left.And he invited all of his friends over who were alot stronger and bigger then i was.I was only 16 years old when one of them took me back into the Den and...