Chapter 12: Neji's Gift

Tenten dragged her feet as she walked ever so slowly across the dirt path away from her house.

Gaara was hurt, but understanding. He blamed himself for getting caught up in his crush when he was fully aware of Tenten's feelings for someone else. He had hoped to win her over but after their conversation, he knew they couldn't be anything more than friends.

Tenten sulked to Dazai's weapons store, eager to play with kunais to get her mind off things.

Dazai shrieked and clasped his hands together. He rushed Tenten into a hug and twirled her off her feet, "I've been waiting all morning for you to come! Neji said you'd be here before noon! It's already half past the hour!"

Tenten gave him a puzzled look.

"Where is that boy!"

Tenten's eyes welled up remembering the way Neji last looked at her.

"Well I refuse to wait any longer!" Dazai shouted oblivious to Tenten's distress. "You know, I was so busy helping his vision come to life, I didn't have any time to pick out something for you. But technically, I am giving you a promotion!"

Tenten raised another confused brow, "Dazai, would you just tell me what's going on?"

He shushed her and placed his hand over her eyes as he led her down the familiar basement staircase. She huffed in anticipation. What did Neji have for her downstairs?

"Ta-da!" Dazai sang, lifting his palms from her eyes.

Tenten's jaw was on the floor and her eyes widened in amazement.

It was a junior ninja haven. There was a wall of hanging kunai, varying in size and type. There were knives, shuriken, swords, chakra blades, and more. All the boxes and storage were gone, leaving a wide, open space between the walls. Each section of weapons were divided by bold letter signs reading "BASICS, INTERMEDIATE, ADVANCED"

A giant laminated poster was draped across one of the walls titled "TRAINING WITH TENTEN"

Below it, there was a full listed of course options and weaponry advancement, packed with techniques, ninjustu, and tool learning.

"W-what is this?" Tenten could barely speak.

"Starting Monday, you'll be teaching here three days a week. Anyone and everyone can sign up. Open to all ages, no experience necessary!"

Tenten wiped the tears from her eyes with the back of her hand and pulled Dazai into a big hug, "T-thank you s-so much, Dazai-kun!"

"It was all Neji's idea," Dazai admitted, "He paid to have this all remodeled and got the nice paper and everything!" he squealed caressed the laminated poster.

Neji...

"I have to go find him!" Tenten called out as she ran up the stairs and dodged through the busy streets of Konoha.

She asked to everyone who passed her if they had seen Neji. But no luck came with it. Dawn was fast approaching and Lee was summoning her for dinner.

She was sick and tired of disappointing people so she put on a sleeveless fitted yellow dress with white sneakers and a denim jacket. She let her hair cascade down her shoulders. Just how Neji liked it.

"Tenten!! The power of youth shows in your beauty this evening!! Please allow me to take your jacket!" Lee bowed.

She couldn't help but feel the tension in her body lift. She chuckled and handed him her jacket.

"Happy birthday Tenten!" Guy sensei followed with a bow, presenting her with a pair of dumbbells. There was a pink bow tied around the center of both.

"Thank you Sensei," she smiled and chuckled, wishing Neji were here to laugh at their grandeur beside her.

She almost dropped the dumbbells to her feet when she walked into Guy's dining room and saw Neji sat at the table.

His hair was pulled back into a messy ponytail that fell on one side of his shoulder. He wore a loose black button up with the top few buttons hanging open to expose his pale, bare chest.

 He wore a loose black button up with the top few buttons hanging open to expose his pale, bare chest

"Neji-kun..."

He looked over unfazed, nodding in her direction and he drew a glass of water to his lips.

"W-would you guys mind if I spoke to Neji alone for a few minutes?"

Guy and Lee raised bushy brows at each other before nodding and turning into the kitchen, whispering amongst each other.

Tenten kneeled beside Neji, clasping her hand into his. Tears welled in her eyes as she used her other hand to turn his cheek towards her. He was stiff, but allowed her to direct him.

"Thank you for what you did at the shop with Dazai. I shared my dreams with you and you brought them to life. I couldn't have asked for a better teammate. A better friend..." she smiled weakly.

Neji looked away, "You're welcome."

She rose to her feet. Her fiery nature replacing her moment of vulnerability.

"And you're not just a teammate. Or just a friend to me, Neji."

He looked at her curiously for a moment.

In one swift motion, he pulled his chair back and stood before her. His bellowing height towered over her small frame. The distance between them was small and Tenten's breath caught in her throat in surprise.

The earthy smell of pine and wild berries flooded her nostrils as her nose barely reached level with his exposed chest.

He laid a finger under her chin and brought her eyes to his.

"What am I to you then, Tenten?"

She swallowed a lump in her throat feeling an adrenaline rush from his response.

She laced her arms around his waist, pulling him in closer. Extending the tip of her toes, she let her lips graze his ear as she whispered, "The love of my life."

There was a moment of hesitation as they stared intently into each other's eyes. It felt like an eternity as Tenten maintained her poker face and waited for Neji to make the next move.