Chapter 2: Friendly Faces

The next time I awoke, my hospital room was cramped with bodies shaking in excitement and surprise.

Lee. Guy. Tenten. Kiba. Shino. Sakura. Ino. Shikamaru. Sai. Choji. Kakashi. Naruto.

"Oi! Neji-kun! Hinata wasn't kidding!" he was directly in my face, eyes shut cheerfully. His smile was the same as I remembered, but just like Hinata, age had taken him as well. I took a swift glance at everyone in the room.

Guy was waving frantically and crying in a wheelchair, mumbling about the power of youth as Kakashi stood behind him patting his shoulder and chuckling. 

"Glad to have you back Neji," he shouted over Guy's cries. I immediately noticed the angle of his headband and the color of both his eyes, which were now the same shade.

Lee was crying even more than Guy and kneeling at my bedside. I smiled weakly. Despite the changes in their appearances, everyone seemed the same. My heart felt warm, but quickly the feeling changed as soon as I laid my eyes on her.

"Tenten..." I spoke without thinking. Her hair was in the similar two bun fashion but behind them fell two beautiful braids. A red band cinches her small waist as she stands adorned in a flattering white dress. Fishnet patterns cover her thighs. Her chestnut eyes are glimmering right at me.

It was then I realized the entire room had fell silent and redness begun to creep up on her cheeks.

I laughed nervously, "Lee. Guy," I quickly blurted so as to make it seem I was simply happy to be reunited with my team, "Er- thank you everyone so much for coming to see me."

"Thank the power of youth!" Guy shouted before giving me a thumbs up and beaming his trademark grin. 

My gaze flicked back to Tenten briefly amid the crowd's laughter. She was laughing with them and blushed again when she caught my stare. I just couldn't help it. It had been so much time.

Time.

That's right. I still have no idea how much time has passed. 

"Where's Sasuke?" I muttered.

Naruto looked over to Sakura before he answered, "He's left the village. But he's one of us, believe it!"

It was vague but seemed a sensitive area. I guess it didn't matter as long as his intentions were no longer clouded. 

"Anyway you better get better real soon. We need you up and ready this weekend," he huffed.

This weekend?

He laughed at my confusion, "It's mine and Hinata's big day!"

Confusion persisted. Big day? He and Hinata? My eyes widened in realization of what he meant.

"You and Lady Hinata?!" 

Everyone laughed.

"It was about time," Sakura chimed, "She really is his better half."

"Oy! What's that mean Sakura-chan?!" he whined, but ultimately laughed it off.

It made me wonder who else had been paired off while I was asleep.

More specifically, it made me wonder if Tenten had found her better half, as well.

"I know this is all pretty sudden to you Neji-kun," Shikamaru began to step forward. "I can't imagine what it'd be like to wake up years later. Especially after something so devastating. It might be a drag, but I think it's best I fill you in," he sighed.

The lack of enthusiasm didn't bother me. As a matter of fact, he was probably right. Naruto would probably leave out the most important details. Lee and Guy would talk about themselves. Sakura would keep it bland. Kiba would probably trail off and talk about something else and Ino would just be too excited to stay on track.

"Thank you Shikamaru." 

He began to lead everyone out until it was just me and him in the room. It was a bit relieving to not have everyone's eyes bearing down on me. It was a kind gesture, but a bit much to take in all at once.

His explanation was thorough, yet concise. Everyone had grown up and Konoha was thriving in a ninja world of peace. The Kages remained on good terms and Naruto was on his way to making his dream a reality. Tsunade had stepped down from the position and Kakashi stepped in her place. Shikamaru resumed the position his father once held and they along with Iruka were training Naruto to be prepared for his new responsibility.

It seemed I was right about the pairings, though I wouldn't have expected half of them.

Even Choji found a girlfriend. From another village at that!

When I asked Shikamaru about his own feelings for anyone, he froze up and turned brighter than Hinata would when Naruto would talk to her. 

"What's the matter Shikamaru?" I laughed heartily. "Now I know there's someone!"

"You'd better shut it or else I'll bother you too!"

I teased, "I've been asleep for like 3 years so what would you have to say!"

"As if I didn't notice the prolonged looks at your former teammate..." Shikamaru smirked, "and we both know I'm not talking about Lee!"

My face mirrored Shikamaru's as I can feel the heat on my cheeks grow.

"H-has she..." I began.

"No," he quickly responded before I could finish asking, "She's never shown interest in anyone. Everyone figured she was just focused on her kunoichi responsibilities, but it always seemed like there was more to it." He shrugged and winked in reassurance, patting my knee.

"Rest up Neji-kun," he smiled, "You're about to jump back to the present faster than you imagined."