Chapter 4: Day Off

Tenten's P.O.V

As Naruto and Hinata's celebrations came to a close, the entire village seemed trapped in a whimsical daze. Especially those in relationships. Everyone was loved up, including the normally private Temari and Shikamaru. Sai followed Ino with so many flowers I could hardly tell if it was him behind them. Choji was even sharing his bag of chips.

It didn't seem like very long ago that we were all fighting for our lives and conjuring up dreams of a day like this. 

"What are you thinking?" a familiar, warm husky voice called out behind me.

I turned to see Neji in a slightly oversized white knit sweater. I always remembered Neji looking quite incredible in white, but seeing him now with his broad shoulders and towering height, he looked near irresistible. 

"I'm just reminiscing, I suppose," I smiled back up at him. I was sat on a grassy hill overlooking the market. He walked closer before sitting himself right next to me. He smelled nice.

"What brings you here?" I asked calmly.

"You," he replied before biting his lip and turning his eyes away, "I - I mean the same as you. Old memories, everyone, ya know. Nostalgia and all."

I blushed and looked back up at the market. Everyone knew something was up between Shikamaru and Temari before they even did. I don't know if it was wishful thinking or if I was reading it all wrong to begin with, but I didn't want to wait with Neji.

I began to think back to Team 10's fight with Kisame. After being trapped in the water prison, Neji was the first voice I heard and warmth I felt. He didn't take a second to recover himself, choosing to rush to my side and ask if I was okay. Any teammate would do the same, I'm sure, but that's when I discovered my own feelings for him.

"Uh Tenten?...Tenten?" 

I shook my head from my trance, clearing my throat, "Sorry did you say something?"

"What were you thinking just now Tenten?" he persisted.

My face went pink and I hopped on my feet, "You hungry?"

He looked startled before shrugging and nodding his head.

"Hey Tenten," he began softly. He addressed me by name often and it always made my heart skip a beat. "If we ended up trapped in the infinite Tsukuyomi, what do you think your dream world would be like?"

This wasn't the first time I'd thought about this. As a matter of fact I had seen it in my dreams already.

"Well for one you were alive, of course," I smiled, "I'm glad I don't have to dream that anymore."

He smiled back shyly, waiting for me to continue. I suppose with the years passing the dream is a bit different.

"I own a weapons shop," I beamed with my hands on my hips.

Neji chuckled, "I can definitely see that."

"I've also always thought about training the children that aren't in the academy or that don't want to be. So that those who aren't shinobi can still protect themselves. Or children that don't think they are capable, can acquire a skill." 

"That sounds amazing Tenten," he extended a hand on my shoulder.

I had stopped walking and looked back up at him, his hand still resting on my shoulder, "What would your dream be, Neji-kun?"

Neji's eyes darted seemingly looking over my entire face. I blushed at his silence but resisted the urge to look away from him. 

"Oy!" a shout interrupted our gaze, forcing us to immediately pull apart and act as if what just happened, never did.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ino's P.O.V

Love was in the air! Naruto and Hinata's big day had sparked something we all didn't know we had in us. Sai had been picking flowers the entire way to the shop and reciting what each one had in common with me.

"This peony resembles the perfect pink hue of your cheeks when you blush."

He nearly spoke the blush into existence.

I took him by surprise turning toward him quickly and leaping into his arms. I planted a big kiss on his always soft lips. As I pulled away I whispered, "Now you look like that peony!"

We both giggled.

Shortly after we ran into Shikamaru and Temari, bravely walking hand in hand but still looking like a new and awkward couple. 

"You two are abnormally quiet," I said sarcastically, as Sai brought me back down to my feet.

Both of them kept their eyes locked down on the ground.

"I think this peony possesses everyone who approaches it," Sai joked. 

Suddenly, Kiba and Akamaru came pouncing at us, causing Temari to move into Shikamaru's arms. They gawked at each other wide eyed and red before immediately pulling away.

I did my best to hold it my laugh.

"What's up with that Kiba!" Shikamaru yelled.

"I think you should see for yourselves," Kiba replied mischievously.

Curious, I followed him first and the others joined soon after. Kiba led us to the market which was somewhat ordinary on a Sunday evening.

"What's the big deal here Kiba-kun?" I asked.

He brought a finger to his lips in a hushing motion before pointing at a nearby hill.

I squealed in excitement.

There they were standing on top of the hill looking as intense as ever!

"That looks pretty intimate if you ask me," Sai agreed.

His hand was on her shoulder and her eyes were locked on his. I thought back to the wedding planning and each time us girls got together. Tenten just didn't seem the same when we all thought Neji was dead. It felt like a part of her was holding on and would never let go. She hid it all perfectly behind excessive training and waves of assurances, but I knew something bigger than she was letting on was going on.

"We should leave them to it guys," Shikamaru said turning on his heels.

"Oh, now you wanna be mature?!" I huffed.

We kept our debate and gossip in hushed whispers not wanting to be found out until...

"Oy!" shouted Naruto, approaching us with a smiling Hinata in his arms.  

We all ducked and ran into Ichiraku Ramen crossing our fingers and toes that we hadn't been found out.