02. Blooming | کھلنا

The hues of black and purple was blanketed through the vast sky

The evening had just spurred around the hour. The flowers of the summer had started to bloom and some even wrenched due to the pricking heat. Stars in the sky, tonight were the shiniest. It was my brother's Mehendi ceremony after all.

My eyes stayed dotted towards my reflection in the mirror. I was wearing a yellow patiala with red and green contrasting the dress. Zahiraah, Zainaah and I were wearing matching outfits. Zahiraah had matched pink and green with yellow whereas my cousin Zainaah choose red and blue with Yellow. The designs were same, but only difference was the shades of different colours. Zainaah is my paternal cousin. Daughter of my Arsalan Chacha.

The swatch of brown lipstick was perfect. It was bold yet neat. I shone brighter than the stars tonight. Overreacting? Yes, I had that confidence.

I cascaded down the vast width stairs and stood near the flower vase when my niece hugged me with a small smile playing on her lips. She was the prettiest this eve. My arms found their way towards her, taking her. Her petite body hugged mine, closer to my chest. She was the brightest star of my life.

"Zoya baby ready for the night?"

She hadn't learnt to talk yet but she can understand things well. She only calls Saad Bhai as Daddy and Zahiraah as Mumma but there are times she had thought that I was her Mumma. It depends on the aura she decides who is her mother.

Saad Bhai always identifies us. He never had mistaken our identities. He claims that he can identify us even from behind and at times he does. There is no doubt how much he loves Zahiraah that he can openly identify between us. Thier love story was my cup of tea, sweet, charming and adorable.

That was not a while ago when another baby clutched my leg. This time, I had no idea who would it be. But as I stared down at the kid. She was the cutest in a lemon yellow dress. I knew her but I didn't knew whose daughter she was. I certainly needed to think but I wanted quick answers too. Her features were similar to a person I knew.

Parishay! She was Parishay's daughter, Jannat.

Shaheer uncle is my Dad's best friend, Parishay was the eldest daughter-in-law but the cruelest thing here was, Parishay died a year ago. Leaving her 1 and half years old baby alone to her father.

I let Zoya down, and took that little chubby bubble in my arms. She was the same age as Zoya's. Her cheeks were round, doe big eyes, rose hinted cheeks and plumpy pink lips.

"How are you, Zairaah?"

My head snapped towards the direction, Farheen aunty, Shaheer uncle's wife. A kind and pure soul wrapped in a shawl of rules, principles and with a hint of fun in her cultural world.