19. Path to Freedom

One week later

The truck bumped along the rocky road. The trolls took Tekai's advice and came in a smaller group, if they were going to save Spirit they couldn't be in a big group and attract attention, they had to be almost unnoticeable to the snatchers, so it was just Branch, Iris, Poppy and Correy. They had also brought some helpful supplies with them such as ropes, Correy's staff and Tekai's spear, just in case. They were just hoping that Spirit was okay and strong enough. The truck stopped sharply, knocking the trolls off their feet. They were at the institute. They sneaked off the truck, trying to avoid the snatchers. Once off the truck, the trolls had to find the research center where Tekai was with Kyra. They kept their distance from the truck and the institute but Branch couldn't help but stare at the big gray building, the thought of Spirit struggling inside of there haunted his mind, he knew for a fact that he would never forgive Creek for this. Spirit didn't deserve this, no lykar deserved this.

They reached the research center just in time, there was a rainstorm right above their heads, they used their hair to knock on the large door, Kyra came out and opened it.

"Oh thank goodness you little guys are alright, we were worried about you. Come on in," Kyra greeted. They saw Tekai with Askar near the corner, she spotted them and went to see them.

"Glad you guys made it here in one piece," Tekai smiled.

"Barely," Branch moaned, "that truck ride was so rough." He complained, rubbing the small of his back. "How's Spirit doing?" Tekai and Kyra looked at each other, then back at Branch.

"She's not doing well," Tekai sighed, "she's been so inactive and it looks like she's losing hope." 

"Luckily, we have been able to find a way to get her out," Kyra stated. "And not just her, but all the lykars stuck in there." 

"I discovered that the snatchers leave the institute at nine in the evening, that's in half an hour, but they keep security cameras on everywhere which means we have to sneak through the vents and try to cover up the cameras to prevent them from seeing us," Tekai explained. "There's a large vent near where the lykars are kept in those pools, we'll have to get the lykars out through that vent, then lead them to the coast and make sure they follow down the island to all the way to the first cliff, we can keep them in the lagoon for safety until they can get back into the wild, Askar will lead them."

"Now, even though this plan is possible to work you have to be careful, we don't know how well this is going to go," Luke warned.

"And as soon as you get those lykars out you little guys need to get as far away from here as you can, got it?" Kyra said concerned.

"Thank you guys," Branch thanked, "I can't thank you enough." The three snatchers smiled down at him. Branch turned to the trolls. "Alright guys, let's rescue those lykars." They rushed to do the door with Askar following behind, trying to use him as a shelter from the rain.

Once they were near the coast by the lykar institute, the trolls started discussing how the plan was going to work out.

"Askar, you go down to the coast and when the lykars start escaping tell them to go to the first cliff," Branch stated, Askar nodded and ran to the coast. "Once we get in there Tekai and Correy, see if you can get that large vent open for the lykars to escape through and while you're at it, cover up as many security cameras as you can. Iris, Poppy and I will find Spirit and help the lykars."

"Got it!" Tekai and Correy both responded.

"Just remember, we need to be careful," Branch warned, "if there are any snatchers in there and they find us, we're in deep trouble."