chapter one

"what is happening in your head today?" i saw my best friend, sarah yelling while waving her hands in my face.

i shook my head and rubbed my eyes before looking at her. "what?" i said trying to stay focussed on whatever she was saying.

"i've been talking about my surgery next week but you seem preoccupied. are you okay? if i'm stressing you out by talking about all this medical stuff, i can stop?" she looked really serious and concerned.

i grabbed her hand and smiled, "no, you're okay. i'm happy you're talking about it, it's important. i'm excited for you to finally be healthy again." i let go of her hand and waited for her response.

"what's wrong then? you only act like this when you're under pressure or you're causing too much pressure on yourself." she sipped her coffee and maintained eye contact with me.

"i think you know what's bothering me, you just don't want to say it." i said with a nervous giggle.

"rosie, i swear to god if it's who i think it is." she looked annoyed at me but i know it's forced. after all, she just wants what is completely best for me. she doesn't like seeing me upset or conflicted. she especially doesn't like when someone hurts me.... repeatedly.

i looked at her but i couldn't look her in the eyes for long. i quickly looked down and played with the sleeves on my uniform.

"he isn't worth it. please, for the love of the stars, stop giving him chances. he'll learn really quick when you show him how much you thrive without him. you're a strong woman anyway, you did perfectly fine without him before." she stood up and pointed to the clock. "lets get back to work, we'll talk about this after our shifts."

we're waiters, that's how we met three years ago. we were both seventeen with so many dreams and goals that have now been proven practically impossible. we barely make minimum wage and tips from customers keep getting smaller. even worse, we're both in college. being in school and working makes it impossible to make totally livable wages.

i pick up my apron from the hanger and put it over my blouse. i can't even count how many times i say the exact same sentence.

"hi, welcome to Zoe's Diner! what can i start you off with?"
"sounds great!"
"here you go."
be careful, it's hot"

delivering the same food to the same daily costumers, time and time again. some costumers come here so often, i've developed a professional friendship with them. one time, a customer even brought me a birthday present.

i just can't wait until next week. i'll be in l.a and i will be enjoying myself. i won't need to worry about anyone but myself. i can sit near the water and drink a cocktail. sarah and i can go clubbing without worrying about running into exes.

best of all, i won't need to worry about him.