Ch. 4 The Strix

Rory walked into St. Anne's Church. Hayley had been right about Marcel turning it into a gym. A punching bag went flying a good ten feet and knocked some equipment over. "Something the matter, Elijah?" she asked the vampire who had sent it flying. He looked at her in surprise.

"There's something you want to talk about, like, the Strix?" she asked. He could tell she wasn't happy about this, but he wasn't really in the mood to talk about it. Rory rolled her eyes as he picked up a towel. She began to read the card in her hand. "'I do hope you can come, old chum. Signed, Tristan.'"

He walked towards her, reaching for the card. "I was picking up the girls when some random vampire dropped it off. You care to fill me in?" she asked as he inspected the card. 

"This isn't your concern," he told her.

He started to walk around her, but she grabbed his arm. "Oh, but it is," she said, pushing him against the fighting cage in the middle of the room. "So, why don't you cut the protective, macho crap and tell me what's really going on? And I will warn you, I spent my night being flirted with by drunks only to come home to Lilly who is pissed at me because she doesn't get why me and Klaus are fighting. I recommend you don't test my patience."

Elijah looked at her. "You wanted a normal life, I was letting you have it," he said.

"Yeah, my normal life consists of being a hybrid, a one thousand year old, hybrid baby-daddy, and two little girls who aren't human. My normal life is never going to be normal. I am apart of this family too, Elijah. Whether I want normalcy or not, I have to deal with the supernatural crap," Rory told him.

He flipped their positions so she was the one pushed against the cage. Rory looked at him, just now realizing how close the position required them to be. "What do you want to know?" he asked, smiling at her.

|

"I simply want to know who is here at any given moment. I hardly think that is too much to ask," Klaus told Freya. The witch was doing yoga, but had been interrupted by her hybrid brother.

"Well, as long as we're taking attendance," Rory said as her and Elijah entered the room.

"Oh, good. It's my not-so-loving elder brother and my former fiance. What a nice, normal family gathering," Klaus said.

"Charming," Rory muttered. "Elijah was just catching me up on how you have no clue which one of your long lost buddies you can trust and which one is trying to kill you."

"Well, clearly what the situation needs is more opinions. I assume you told her about the bloody prophecy?" Klaus said.

Rory glanced at Elijah. "I was just getting to that," he told her.

"Now would be good," she said, her arms crossed over her chest.

"Well, it appears my old mate Lucien has acquired a genuine seer, and in an effort to prove his good intentions, he got her to show us some rather dire visions of future doom. It's grim stuff, really. Not for the faint of heart," Klaus explained.

"Whose doom are we talking about?" Rory wondered. "Because if it's yours, I think we are all pretty okay with that."

Klaus laughed at her and she couldn't help a small smile. "Well, sadly, we're all on the chopping block. But chin up. This witch claims her visions are constantly evolving. So, you may just get your wish," Klaus told her, moving closer to her.

"Well, I wanna meet this psychic witch," Rory told him, before turning towards her best friend. "Tonight."

|