Chapter 8. Comfort

Warmth and tenderness of heart, with an affectionate open manner, will bear all the cleverness of head in the world for attraction.

~From the book 'Emma' by Jane Austen

Daniel's POV

I was surprised when Ariana suddenly hugged me. Her hands wrapped around my torso and clutched onto my shirt in a tight grip as tears flowed down her eyes effortlessly, wetting my shirt.

I could feel that she was trying hard not to sob out loud but was failing miserably. She was holding onto me as if holding on to her dear life.

I felt frozen. My hands were clutching the sheets.

Should I hug her back and comfort her?

No. That would probably make me look like I cared. Like I'm weak. A pathetic weakling who cares for others feelings. But, she really looked miserable.

I sighed.

Just this one time. Than I'll be back to my ignorant self.

I wrapped my arms around her slender frame and rubbed her back in a comforting manner.

She was so petite. Her scent was like those of lilies. Her hair was soft. Really soft. I realised that she isn't as strong as she displays herself to be.

Somewhere, deep in her heart, she's broken. And in this moment, I wanted nothing more than to comfort her. To let her know that she wasn't alone.

When finally her tears died down, I slowly called out her name, "Ariana?"

"Hmmm," she muttered snuggling closer to me which for some reason made my heart beat quicker.

I ignored the stupid feeling and gently shook her but she didn't respond and instead snuggled more closer to me if possible.

I sighed. I should just let her sleep on the bed for this one night. With that thought, I unwrapped my arms from her and gently laid her on the bed.

Ariana's eyes were shut but she made whimpering sounds occasionally which confirmed that she wasn't asleep.

I got up from the bed deciding to sleep on the couch for today but a soft hand caught mine, refraining me from moving ahead.

I turned around and found Ariana holding my hand. Her eyes were partly open as she spoke,

"Don't go. Please," she almost pleaded me. Her eyes momentarily closing.

Just ignore her and walk away.
Ignore her.

Despite my subconscious warning, I found myself moving to the other side of the bed to lay next to Ariana.

"Thank you," a smile formed on her lips as she shut her eyes close finally falling asleep.

I sighed staring at the ceiling. What the hell am I doing?! I really don't get it. I am supposed to hold up my mask and act cold. But here I am, agreeing to Ariana's pleas and laying next to her. I have seriously lost my mind!

Don't be too hard on yourself. Let yourself loosen a bit. Stop being a jerk all the time. Move on, man. Why are you stuck up with Kiana when there are plenty of fishes in the pond?

It was my wolf, Carlos, who spoke all of a sudden. I rolled my eyes mentally at his statement. Only he was missing to make this whole situation seem even more stupid.

The mention of her name bought a dull ache in my heart but I just ignored it like always.

Get Lost, Carlos.

He ignored my words like he always does and continued speaking.

I was telling, you should get over Kiana already. She doesnt even deserve us. Don't you remember how she betrayed us?

My heart constricted with pain by just the mention of that unfateful day when I found my mate -the woman I loved with all my heart- laying naked on the bed with one of my friends, screaming his name as he pleasured her. She betrayed me in the worst possible way.

I loved her so much. So damn much. I thought she loved me as much as I did but I was wrong. I was so freaking wrong.

Hey, stop thinking about her! By the way, Ariana isn't that bad, you know...

And There, he started sprewing rubbish again.

I shut him off instantly. I don't understand how he can be so cool about the whole ordeal. Doesn't he feel the pain that our mate caused? Doesn't he feel even a little bit hurt by her actions?

I do. I do feel the pain. More than you can ever think. But at least, I didn't cling onto it for the rest of my life, like you are doing. I let it go. I let her go...And I wish you would do the same...

I know he meant each word he said but, it wasn't that easy. The hurt she caused was still raw in my heart and I don't think I will ever be able to let go of this pain.