Chapter 26

Steve

When I wake up, I'm only relaxed for about two seconds, before I realize we're flying again today.

Fear is building itself up in my chest as I remember that at least I sort of worked things out with Tony last night. It didn't make my guilt disappear nor did it make me more certain that Tony is still wanting to keep up some sort of relationship, but he definitely made me feel better.

As I get up, my eyes fall on Tony's empty bed. All of his stuff has been brought to the hospital, but there is still one thing on his nightstand.

While Bruce and Thor get dressed -pretty much only having eye for each other- I walk over there and pick up the object, surprised to find that it's the small Eiffel tower keychain I stole for him. I smile while toying with it in my hands before putting it in my backpack and making a mental note on giving it back to him later.

Then I get dressed myself and make up my bed before grabbing my stuff and walking down the stairs, where I bump into Bucky and Sam.

"Good morning, sunshine! You ready for it?" Bucky slaps me on the shoulder while we walk down the hall to the restaurant.

I swallow and make no attempt whatsoever to hide the grimace on my face, "I'll have to be."

"Hey man, it wasn't so bad last time, right?" Sam asks as we sit down at a table.

I nod halfheartedly, "Yeah, I guess.. But this time, I'm not.. I don't know. I just don't think this stupid fear will disappear any time soon."

"No one will expect it to, you know." Bucky assures me.

I give him a weary smile and start eating my breakfast, but after a second or two I stop again. Where do people even get their appetite these days?

That's when Bucky and Sam start trying to stuff me with croissants against my will, but finally I win and they give up. I don't get away without a warning about the horrible plane food we'll be getting served, though. I can't help thinking of Tony, who will undoubtedly complain about going from hospital food to plane food. I smile at the thought of seeing Tony again, but I know to wipe it off my face as quick as it came, because: what if Tony doesn't even want to see me?

The hours counting down to when we'll enter the plane are a complete torture. And this time it isn't only the flying angst, but also the f Half of the time I really want to see him and the other half I'm just scared he's still mad at me. Our conversation from last night might've solved some things, but I don't even know how many grudges he was holding and that's excruciating.

When we're finally walking down the hall to board the plane, my hand are trembling and sweating. I'm tge first to enter and walk towards my seat to find Tony already sitting there. He's doing staring intently down at his phone, where he seems to be working on something. He looks sleep deprived and uncomfortable in the small space of his seat.

Swallowing hard, I walk up to him until I'm standing right next to his seat and clear my throat awkwardly, "Hi."

It's like Tony awakes from a trance as he looks up, his eyes brightening we he sees me. I allow myself to smile a small smile as he stands to let me past him to my own seat. I really just want to hug him but I don't know how he'll react to that so I just sit down next to him instead.

When he sits down again, he takes my trembling hand into his and intertwines our fingers, rubbing his thumb soothingly in circles on my hand. I sigh as some of the tension leaves my body and smile at him thankfully. He smiles back.

"What're you working on?" I ask as everyone around us is settling as well.

"A project I've been trying to set up for a while now. My hands are itching to work on it, but it's inconvenient to program on a phone."