Chapter 14

Steve

Tony and I walk through the dark suburbs of Paris. The houses around here are beautiful, but from most of them the lights are out and there's no one on the streets, so if we get lost now..

Alright, stop the negative thinking! I tell myself.

I stare down at the piece of paper clenched in my hands, there are 12 questions on it. For each one we have to go to a particular place and answer a question about it.

I nudge Tony's arm, who's staring at the sidewalk with his hands buried in his pockets. He looks up at me and raises his eyebrows.

"Do you have any idea where this is?" I point at a place on the map.

He shakes his head and returns to look at the sidewalk.

"Hey, where are you with your mind? Let's just make these questions." I say. He really seems a bit out of it. I wish I could take a look into his mind right now, see what's going on in there.

"Just... Do you think the whole plan worked, Steve?" He looks up at me with his big brown eyes.

I think about it, "Well, yeah. I mean, you're dad didn't see through it."

"But I mean.." He takes a deep breath, "Did it really work? My dad's not stupid, you know."

I nod. He's right, maybe.. "You know what?" I interrupt my own thoughts, "Let's just not worry about that right now. You're staying here, and then we'll see. You'll only ruin your time here if you keep thinking like that."

Tony frowns and stares at my face for a long time, his brown puppy eyes full of worry. I realize I don't like seeing him like this at all, worried and scared.

I take his hand in mine and softly rub my thumb over it, "Tony?"

He swallows and slowly his frown disappears, "Yes, yeah you're right." He nods, then stares down and our hands.

I can feel my face becoming red, "I- I'm sorry-"

"Don't apologize." He says while taking my hand fully in his and intertwining our fingers. Then he softly pulls me forward a little and smiles, "This way, I think."

A smile appears on my face now too. I don't know exactly what's going on but I know I'm not going to let go of Tony's hand, which is warm and feels comforting in mine.

"We need to go to this haunted house," Tony says, studying the map. Then he looks up at me with a twinkle in his eyes, "Interesting."

I smile at his enthusiasm as he pulls me in the right direction.

We walk for some time peacefully and then suddenly Tony makes a stop before a quite withered and wizened house. Planks are nailed in front of the windows and it looks deserted. It looks scary.

Then Tony pulls me towards the door, hing with cobwebs, and slowly pushes it open. It creaks in it's hinges and I stop Tony as he wants to set foot over the doorstep. "What are you doing?" I meant to ask that bravely, but it comes out as a whisper.

Tony raises his eyebrows, "Going inside, of course." Then he narrows his eyes and a smirk appears on his face, "Are you scared, captain?"

My eyes widen a little, "No, no-"

He rolls his eyes with that devilish smirk still plastered on his lips and softly rubs his thumb over my hand, "Let's go, the demons up there are waiting for us."

I bite my underlip but still walk after him, up the stairs, which creaks with every foot I set on it.

Tony pulls me into a bedroom and we starts looking around, I follow him, not wanting to let go of his hand.