"Are you guys finally ready to talk about that locker?" I asked instead. "I gave you plenty of time, didn't I?"

Mom looked away. Dad didn't say anything.

"I need to know what it's about." My voice came out much firmer than I felt on the inside.

"Skylar." Dad looked at me and I knew what he was asking me. To not ask about the locker. "We should talk about this when you get back from school."

I stared at him in disbelief. "What is this about? Do you think I'm stupid enough to go around spilling your secrets? Is that why both of you are hiding stuff from me? I won't...I won't tell, Dad."

Mom pursed her lips but she still wasn't looking at me. I frowned at her.

Dad got up and sighed, stretching a little before walking inside the kitchen. I could hear him pouring some coffee as I stared at Mom.

"You need some coffee, kiddo?" Dad asked.

I clenched my jaw. "I can't believe you both sometimes."

"Skylar." Mom finally looked at me. "We're trying, okay? Cut your father and I some slack."

I didn't say anything. Because Mom was disappointed and she was hiding something.

"If we're not telling you something, it's for your own good." She added.

I bit my lower lip and looked down. I really hated the orange of my skirt now.

"And we will tell you." She said. "Just let us make sure it wouldn't cause any more harm than it already has."

I nodded, then started walking towards the couch and picked up my denim jacket.

"Of course, Mom," I said. "I'll give you both your peace. I've been doing that my whole life anyway. Listening to your orders and doing exactly what's asked of me."

Mom looked hurt. Maybe that should've surprised me. But I was hurt too. Didn't they ever see that?

"You know what, actually?" I turned around and faced both Dad and Mom this time. "Don't bother cutting your tight schedules for me. I'll go over to Alex's after school. You guys can fly over to your next busy client for all I care. I'll be all right."

"Skylar." Dad started. He was frowning at me. Dad rarely ever frowned at me.

"I needed you both when that guy broke in, Dad." My voice lowered to a whisper. "I was scared."

The silence that followed could've easily been torturous.

But I sighed then and picked up my bag. "Doesn't matter," I muttered, waiting a silent second to pass by, before passing them one last glance. "I should get going."

Mom didn't stop me. Dad didn't either.

So I left.

•••••

Caden's POV:

Slamming my locker shut, I took out my phone and answered the buzzing call before it got to the very end of my fucking nerves.