Chapter 18: Perfectly Still. Calm. Deadly.

Start from the beginning

I heard the rush of footsteps first; the shout of my name followed. I didn't have time to turn around. Broden's hand was on my arm, and I stumbled as he yanked me back. He was in front of Lily and me before I could stop him.

"What're you doing here?" Broden growled at Anthony. In seconds, Broden rolled up his green sleeves, and the veins on his arms stuck out with adrenaline. He wanted to fight.

"Broden"—Anthony whistled low—"didn't think you'd still be here." His predatory gaze moved over Broden's military get-up. "Nice shirt."

Broden's hands curled and uncurled. "What do you want, Tony?"

Anthony—or Tony—lifted his pointed chin. "How's the arm?" he asked, a look of accomplishment crossing his stare. "It looks like it healed up pretty well."

It was only then that I realized Broden's splint was gone. His arm had healed, but he held it up like he was willing to fracture it again.

"You know," Anthony's words lingered, "I didn't believe the rumors until I saw you. But now I know, and I know a lot. I definitely know he's back."

An animalistic hum escaped Broden's throat.

Anthony smirked. "Wasn't too hard to find yah."

"I wasn't hiding," Broden snapped.

"No, you weren't," Anthony prided. "You never were one to sell out Noah for anything." Noah's name echoed. "I suppose I could've inflicted more pain."

My knees shook. Anthony was the one who hurt Broden. Not Noah. Not the government. Anthony, or Tony, or whoever he was, had done it.

"He's not here," Broden said, stepping back. I stepped back with him, and Lily jumped up to join us.

"You expect me to believe that?" Anthony asked. "I know why he's back, and Phelps himself brought me in from Phoenix to prevent it."

A jailbreak. Miles and Broden had been right all along, even before they knew it. Anthony was a criminal just like the rest of us had become.

In that second, Anthony leaned over to look at me. "I have a feeling you know exactly what I'm talking about, Ms. Gray."

"I don't know you," I spat back, "or who you're talking about."

Before I could continue, Broden held up his arm. "You should leave, Tony," he said, gesturing to the students around us. They were starting to stare. "Don't think Phelps has forgotten your involvement in this. If you screw up now, he'll only send you back."

For a split second, Anthony's eyes widened, but the look dissipated. Even his facial expressions mimicked Noah's. They could've been brothers.

Anthony straightened. "It was good to see you," he spoke like a professional. Perfectly still. Calm. Deadly.

Neither of the boys moved. They only glared at one another until Anthony spun around on one heel. "See you around campus, Sophia," he called over his shoulder as he walked away.

I couldn't breathe until he rounded the corner of the building and disappeared out of sight. Broden leapt forward, anticipating a chase, but he bounced back and turned to us. "You two okay?"

"Who was that?" I asked, looking from Lily to Broden. They both dropped their faces. "Who's Tony?"

Broden shushed me as he grabbed my arm. "Let's walk and talk."