Chapter 34: Over the Edge

"We can get off when the tracks separate, but I'll change the route so Phelps won't know where you're going," Miles explained as we all crowded into the electric room. His hands moved over the keyboard quickly, his brow furrowed so deeply that I doubted he would walk away without a permanent wrinkle. "You two need to jump off at the last possible second. Be sure to get close enough to your destination as possible, or—" The wilderness. They'd have to survive that, too.

Noah laid a hand on Miles' shoulder, glancing over at the computer. "You're sure they won't be able to track us? Even from the main station?"

"No one will be able to." A grin took over Miles' small face. "I won't even know where you two are going. It's the best I can do."

"I need to know where we're going—"

"Push this button, and then the itinerary link." Miles showed Noah twice before he continued, "Now, you can type in wherever you need to go. This is the newest system I've seen. Ever. I can't believe our luck. It must be brand new."

"Well," Noah's expression grimmed. "It wasn't exactly luck."

Miles raised a brow. "Why do you say that?" He hadn't seen the weapons yet.

"The crates are filled with guns," Lily responded from the corner of the room. She was wrapping up the gash in her arm with torn cloth.

Miles didn't even look surprised. Maybe Noah had never lied. Maybe Dwayne knew about it all along. "Where are you two taking them?"

"We're not taking them anywhere," Noah said, but he stared at the wall. "Someone else will pick them up from where we drop the train off." He was finally telling us more. "From there, Rinley and I are walking to another location—"

"Where you will be picked up by another person," Miles finished.

Noah nodded. The entire plan had been built before he ever arrived in Topeka. The question was what plan he had in place next, what region he was going to affect, where would he go after that, whether he would use his real name.

"You guys will be fine," Noah said, and for once, I believed him.

He probably had a plan in place.

The door creaked as Rinley entered the small cabin. When she glanced at her older brother, her blue eyes widened. He had taken off his sage-colored military jacket and revealed his shoulder that had been shot one week ago.

"What is that from?" Rinley asked, gaping.

Noah glanced at the injury that had been reopened. "Those officers should work on their aim."

Broden was arrested. Noah's shoulder was torn up. Lily's arm was slit, and my ankle was broken. But none of us had been shot or killed. We would live to see tomorrow.

"We made it," Lily said as she leaned against the wall for support. She stared at the ceiling in the way some people stared at the stars. "We really made it."

"Almost," Miles interrupted. "We still need to get off."

"When?"

He reached over, pulled a lever, and a small window sprung open. Trees flew past us, but their silhouettes punched black holes into the pink sky. "Soon," Miles said.

The sun was rising, and my ankle was throbbing with every passing minute. I hadn't stood in two hours. I didn't even know what direction we had gone in.

"Where do we go?" Lily asked. "We can't go back."

"You have to," Noah said. When we stared at him, waiting for an explanation of yet another mysterious plan, his lips pulled down. "You'll be better off there for now." Each word sounded more deliberate than the one before it.