03

WE WALKED SIDE BY SIDE — Namjoon, Taehyung, and I — down a long stretch of cozy cafes, elegant restaurants, and storefronts with bold, colorful signs. I drank it all in like a tourist in a foreign country, staring about with wide-eyed delight. However, once all the excitement and newness of it all passed by, I was left walking in a terribly uncomfortable silence, surrounded by strangers.

"Say something to him," Taehyung kept urging. "Just act natural." But what exactly was my natural? Was I witty and charming? Shy and unassuming? Friendly and playful? Calm and easygoing? Perhaps I was loud and abrasive, totally obnoxious, but did that really matter? Right now, my natural state consisted of awkward small talk and endless fidgeting.

Why fight it?

I stared down at the red wedge sandals on my feet, watching the gold buckles glint in the morning sun. I could feel Namjoon's eyes on me the whole time, but I couldn't bring myself to look at him for more than a few seconds. Those sunglasses, they created an intimidating and impassable barrier between us, and I wasn't sure how to overcome it.

It didn't take long for him to notice it too.

"Are you sure you're feeling okay?" Namjoon asked after a while. His voice was low and timid. "You're awfully quiet."

"Oh?" I glanced at him, instantly meeting the black-tinted wall, and turned away again. "Sorry, I, uhh, I have a lot on my mind."

As we crossed the street together, the gap between us seemed wider than ever. People passed through it with ease, their eyes glued to their mobile phones. I saw that Namjoon had pulled out his too, and I wondered if I was to blame.

On the other side, food vendors had set up stalls throughout the crowded square. They were selling deep-fried pastries filled with cream, sizzling meats on skewers, and cold, refreshing treats. As we lingered among them, I could feel my stomach start to rumble with a sharp pang of hunger. Taehyung seemed equally enticed.

"Fish cakes! Barbecue! Fried chicken!" His eyes sparkled as they bounced around from booth to booth. "Wow, it all looks so delicious!"

It really did, and it smelled even better. The late morning air was spiced with grill-smoke, garlic, and chili peppers. It made my mouth water and my stomach growl. I tried my best to ignore it, but it was impossible. Before I could stop it, my stomach growled again, louder this time. Namjoon slowed his pace suddenly and looked over at me. "Was that your stomach just now?"

I turned away, my cheeks flushing. "Yeah. Sorry."

"Sorry?" He laughed. "Why are you apologizing, dummy? Didn't you eat breakfast this morning?"

I stared blankly. "I don't remember."

"You don't remember?" He made a face. "What kind of an answer is that? You can't go to work on an empty stomach." He dug into his pocket and pulled out his wallet. "Here, let me buy you something. What do you want? A pastry? Sandwich? Hurry, pick. Anything you want."

I started to stammer. "N-No, that's okay. You don't have to. I'll be fine."

He groaned impatiently. "Come on, stop being stubborn. Your father will kill me if I let you starve."

My eyes widened. My father? He knows my parents? Just like that, I was stricken speechless, staring at this man with newfound fascination. Who is this guy?

He surprised me further by reaching out and taking my hand like it was second nature to him: so casually, so confidently. I sucked in my breath while Taehyung cried out in shock. "WHAT? You can't just take a girl's hand like that! He's practically a stranger!"