You felt a pang of pain in your heart. How similar the two of you were. The both of you were kept in the dark, hidden from your true lineages. He definitely would have felt traumatized too--to be living in a normal world, and then have it all changed after discovering what was underneath the surface. He was undoubtedly scared, like you. 

Getting targeted by other syndicates. 

Possibly being pressured into arranged marriages.

Living under the watchful eye of allied mafias.

Every step you took was being monitored by someone. 

This was enough to churn your insides, enough to keep you up at night. But, what was the worst part? 

The lying.

The deceit.

By your own family. 

In order for them to survive in the underground, you had to give up your dreams--your future. Why were you responsible for the situation they got themselves into?  

That was probably the reason why you immediately connected with Kevin. The faraway, depressing look on his face was enough to say that he understood. He understands what it's like to be living behind a lie. To have to part ways unexpectedly with your friends and colleagues. To be pulled unwillingly into the dark void of organized crime. 

"Hey, you good?" Kevin looked at you worriedly. "Your face just went pale."

You faced the other way to hide your embarrassment. Your thoughts were weighing you down again. "I was just... thinking."

He gave you a small smile in response. With great patience and timidity, he asked, "A penny for your thoughts?" 

Almost instantly, you started pouring out everything on your mind like your mouth was the origins of a river and your spoken words were imitating the rush of water. 

You ranted to him about everything you were feeling in the past two days. 

The predicament of getting engaged to a mysterious man.

The fear of almost dying by a bullet.

The sleepless nights that were slowly making you an insomniac. (a/n: i can't sleep, so tell meeee)

His eyes never left your face, and before you knew it, something wet fell from your eye. You raised your finger and touched your cheek. You were crying. How peculiar. You weren't one to cry often. 

Kevin silently got up from your bed and walked to your figure that was sitting comfortably on the couch. Squatting to reach your level, he lifted his hand and wiped away your tears. A few seconds later, you found yourself in his arms. 

He was warm.

And he smelled really nice. Like clean linen and lavender. 

The two of you stayed in that position for a while, both refusing to leave each other's embrace. You simply rested your head on his shoulder, while he slowly ran his hands through your hair, attempting to calm you down. 

The silence was broken by his voice. "I'm actually engaged too."

You pulled away, and stared at him with wide eyes. "How much more similar can we get?" Kevin laughed his beautiful laugh in response, his eyes sparkling with the light of the galaxies. You gave a small chuckle as well, realizing that your chortle wasn't as pretty as his. 

He rubbed small circles on your hand. "Yeah, I'm engaged to this girl named Ryujin? I've never even met her before, so I'm kinda worried, to be honest." You nodded in understanding. "I met Chan not too long after hearing that I would be married off. That fear is normal."