t w e n t y s e v e n

Start from the beginning

She offered but Misa shook her head adamantly.

"Tradition is tradition , now eat your pancakes."

-

Misa proved to everyone that when she was determined things got done. At 11 PM , Zolee , D'Angelo , Zara and Nurse Mills found themselves sharing a large blanket on Rock Canyon Swim Beach. Zolee laid on D'Angelo's lap as he fed her grapes while Zara rested her head on Misa's shoulder. Nurse Mills snapped a few pictures , not bringing attention to herself.

"I can't believe we're back here." Zara breathed earning a small smile from Misa before she began to cough.

Concerned everyone sat up and stared at her as her coughing fit continued.

"It's alright , It's alright.."

She soothed the crowd but D'Angelo was already wrapping his jacket around her shoulder's earning himself an appreciative nod and a grateful smile from Zolee.

"When you get my age that's a side effect. I brought you guys back here because I've been so happy to have you. I look at you two and still see my babies."

She sighed before she ran her fingers through Zara's hair while D'Angelo wrapped his arms around Zolee to keep her warm.

"I'm so proud of all you two have accomplished. Zara, remember that you're never alone and I never loved Zolee more than you , she just needed me more but still never question how much I love you."

Nodding Zara sighed before she clung to her grandmother more tightly. Misa was now looking at the couple behind her.

"D'Angelo you take care of my baby and your babies. Those boys have beautiful parents and I'm sure you two will be great for Zaid and Zaire."

Zolee smiled at the comment before she shook her head "You two are so sure they're boys."

Waving her off Misa went on with her speech.

"I told you to find yourself a man and for once in your life you listened to me Zolee" Misa chuckled while Zolee groaned in embarrassment at the shock that covered D'Angelo's face before amusement came to it.

"She didn't seek you out D'Angelo , but I'm glad you found her. She can be a bit tough , I know but she loves you and you love her. You two remind me so much of Ernest and I. You know every New Years , he'd make me go to church with him and I'd watch him pray , he always prayed. When he died I started to pray too. The first time we brought you girls to the beach , he looked at me and he said 'how are we going to do this Mis?'"

Sighing the older lady looked out at the sea while her audience sat enraptured by her storytelling.

"I rested my hand on his shoulder and smiled 'I don't know how old man but we will' , he nodded and then he went over and helped you two pick out seashells. You girls brought him so much joy , the last thing he told me was I would never be alone and he was right. I had you two and even when you left , you checked in every day Zolee , your spirit was always here Zara. Both of you , you were all over my house. I could still hear Zolee tripping over that creaky floorboard when she snuck in. I could still smell the perfume Zara would bathe herself in from middle school to high school. I'd hear your laughter and you two brought so much life to me when I'd lost so much. When your father died , you two kept me going and when Ernest died it was no different."

Looking at the ground , she looked back up and took Zara's hand in hers before she reached over for Zolee's. Zolee clasped her hand in hers. Nurse Mills rested a hand on Misa's shoulder in support.

"I'm glad you two have the support systems you do , you'll need them in this life. Never push them away okay?"

"Yes ma'am" Zara replied while Zolee simply nodded. They sat in silence for a few moments before Misa spoke up again.