[26] Anywhere But Here

Start from the beginning

      Then I busted out laughing. I couldn't help it! What they were saying was pretty unbelievable.

      "Raine," Kallie whined, shooting me a slight glare.

      I composed myself and attempted an innocent look. "Sorry, Kal, but I really doubt that I could teach him a lesson like that. You'd need like, I don't know, someone famous and super hot or something to hold him long enough to do that!" I told her, biting my lip. This time, it was Kallie turn to laugh and my turn to narrow my eyes at her.

      "You have a lot more power than you think, Raine, I'll tell you that." Then she sobered up and shot me a look I couldn't quite read. "That means you aren't, though, right?" This earned a dry look from me. Kallie returned it with one of her own.

      "Yes, she means she isn't, Kal," Annabelle said after a couple moments of Kallie and me staring at each other.

      Kallie held her hands up in a sort of 'I surrender' motion. "Just making sure. You know, Raine, if anyone could hold him, it would be you," she told me slyly, repeating what she had said weeks earlier in Las Vegas. I rolled my eyes and opened my mouth to respond, but before I could, my phone rang from the bedside table.

      Kallie grabbed it and put it on speaker.

      "Hello?" I asked, squirming slightly, feeling the urge to get closer to the phone.

      "Hey Raine. Sorry, I didn't get your text until this morning." Came Devon's voice. "What's up?" For a moment, I was confused about what he meant, then I remembered that I had sent him a text asking for advice.

      "Oh, is that Devon?" Kallie asked, not bothering to be quiet.

      "Hi...?" Devon trailed off, obviously confused.

      "Sorry, Devon, my friends Kallie and Annabelle are with me. Guys, this is Devon," I introduced.

      "The gay guy?" Annabelle asked. Kallie and I gaped at her. Whoa. That had to be the most straight forward -or rude, though I knew that wasn't her intent- Annabelle had ever said. Her eyes widened when she realized how her words had come out. "S-sorry," she stuttered, cheeks turning red.

      Instead of getting mad, though, Devon merely laughed. "Is that how you refer to me, Raine? The 'gay guy'?" he asked teasingly:

      "No! It's just someone asked and he got kind of jealous and well, I don't know," I said, trying to explain. I only succeeded in making him laugh again.

      After a moment, he turned serious. "So, is that what the problem's about? Jealousy?" he asked. I saw Kallie shoot me a wounded look and open her mouth to speak. Later, I mouthed, not letting her. It might not have been the best response, but I really didn't want to have an argument with her with Devon on the phone.

      "Sort of. But not exactly with you. It's a bit bigger," I told him. It didn't take very long to explain everything, but by the end, I was blushing. Saying it out lout made me realize how stupid and petty it was.

      Devon, as it turned out, had more or less the same though. "Wow, that's..." he trailed off, probably trying to think of a nice way to describe it.

      "Stupid?" Kallie offered bluntly. I glared at her and earned an eye roll and mock innocent smile in return. Huh, guess she's going to be temporarily not mad at me.

      "Well, yeah," Devon admitted, sounding a bit apologetic.

      Number one thing I hate about being handcuffed? I don't have the option of facepalming. "I know, but I still need advice," I muttered staring at my wall of photos.