[7] Fall to Pieces

Dedicated to MissAkira246, for the awesome cover! -->

--

I looked away,
Then I looked back at you
You try to say,
Things that you can't undo
If I had my way,
I'd never get over you

~Fall to Pieces- Avril Lavigne

Today, when Kaden burst into my room, I was already awake. I was at the desk across the room, using the laptop they had there. He banged through the door, not bothering to knock. I jumped and almost knocked the laptop over.

I lifted my glasses and looked at him curiously. "Do you need something?" It came out sharper than I intended, but I don't think he noticed. Instead, he was staring at the glasses that I had placed in my hair, like sunglasses. Don't ask why I do that, I just do. I've been doing it ever since I got them, so I guess it's a habit now.

"You wear glasses?" He asked, sounding almost, dumbfounded.

I shrugged and felt a faint blush tingeing my cheeks. "Yeah sometimes," I replied nonchalantly. Am I the only one who feels completely and utterly awkward right now?

Kaden raised an eyebrow. "I've never seen you with them on," He remarked. "And I've known you for a really long time.

I shrugged again. "I rarely wear them," I told him as he walked closer to me and looked at the screen

"What are you doing?" he asked part amused, part curious.

I grinned, "Uploading Brett's adventures onto YouTube." Slipping my glasses back on, I turned back to the laptop and checked on the progress of the video upload. It was almost complete. I smiled slightly, Brett was going to kill me when he found out, even though he probably expected it, but it was totally worth it.

"You know Brett's going to kill you when he finds out, right?" Kaden asked, as if reading my mind.

"Why the face?" Kaden's voice broke me out of my thoughts, and I realized I had a slightly confused and freaked out expression on my face.

I shrugged, "Bad thoughts." All he did for a reply was roll his eyes. The video finished uploading and I was in the middle of posting it when a little pop-up came onto the screen.

Not gonna happen, Raine! -Brett

Kaden read over my shoulder, leaned back, and let out a laugh I sighed and closed the laptop, pulled off my glasses and placed them in their case. I stood up from the desk and flopped onto the bed, with my back hitting the soft mattress, so I was staring up at the ceiling. I heard him walk over to me, and ignored him until he stood over me.

"You really didn't see that coming?" He raised an eyebrow and looked at me inquisitively. I shrugged and closed my eyes, then shook my head. I feel awkward again.

"Raine," he said, almost sounding pained. My eyes snapped open at his tone. Now, it was my turn to look at him curiously. "We still need to talk," he finished. I closed my eyes again and shook my head, stubbornly. I was probably acting like a brat, but I really didn't want to talk to him about that. It'd just bring on more awkwardness, and things I can't stand.

"I have nothing to say," I told him quietly. There was a silence, and I could almost feel Kaden trying to find something to say. I swear, I do not have any magical powers, or something, at least not ones that I know of, but whenever it's silent, or awkward, or when someone's almost speechless, I can feel my skin tingle. Before he could speak a word Kallie burst into the room.

"Hey! We're- whoa, did I interrupt something?" She asked. The tense mood lightened a bit with her entrance, but it was still there, the tenseness, I mean. I was certain that Kallie and Kaden could feel it now.

"No," I answered at the same time as Kaden replied with a 'yes'. I squeezed an eye open and looked at her expression. Confused, doubtful, disbelieving and slightly knowing all rolled into one. I've known Kallie long enough to know that she thinks this is something it most definitely is not. I think you can piece everything together.

"Which is it?" She asked, looking back and forth between Kaden and me in amusement.

"You're not interrupting anything," I said firmly, glaring at Kaden, just daring him to disagree. An expression that mimicked Kallie's crossed his face as he rolled his eyes. I just kept glaring at him, imagining a knife coming across his throat.

"Okay, well then, breakfast is ready and it's going to be our last day at Wal-Mart so I'm doing something special," Kallie replied, clearly not believing me, but letting it go anyways. "And don't ask what it is, because I'm not going to tell you until we get downstairs," she added before either Kaden or I could open our mouths to ask just that. Then, without another word to us, she skipped out of the room, not bothering to see if we followed her or not.

"What was that all about?" I hissed to Kaden, standing up.

He shrugged, "I was being honest."

"We weren't talking about anything!" I insisted as I walked to the door. You know, I miss elementary school and not having to deal with problems like this. Just being oblivious and not worrying about awkwardness and whatnot. I mean, liking someone just meant pulling on their pigtails, or giggling when you talked to them. Not that I liked Kaden or anything. That's not it. I really don't. It's just that back then you just didn't have these complications. No one really deceived you and when they hated you they just went out with it.

Kaden gave me a hard look, "You're going to crack sometime, Raine." I pretended I didn't hear him and hurried down the stairs. What did he mean by that? I'm not an egg or anything, I don't crack easily. Ugh, this is so confusing. Why can't I just rewind time, or get superpowers and make us both forget about that night. I wish I had kept my mouth shut and not said a word. It would be a lot less awkward.

"So, what's the special Wal-Mart thing?" I asked, sitting down beside Brett and pasting on a cheery smile.

Kallie barely looked at me as she threw two pieces of toast onto a plate and put it down in front of me. Kaden took a seat across the table from me, beside Clark. After dumping all the plates into the sink, Kallie sat down on the other side of Brett.

"Alright, so, since it's our last day to do Wal-Mart stuff, I had any idea. I called ahead to make sure it was okay. It took a bit of bribing, but they're okay with it," Kallie said bouncing up and down in her seat.

"Okay with what?" Kaden asked impatiently. Kallie smiled mischievously. It was that grin that I was seriously scared of.

"We," she paused dramatically, "are going to trash Wal-Mart."

-READ ME-

As you've probably noticed, it's not Monday. As I said before, I got an editor! And since I usually don't finish chapters until Monday, I'm pushing my update day to Tuesday, so there's a day for editing, proofreadgin, all that stuff. Thank you to everyone for their support, when yesterday came around, some people asked me where the update was, you made me smile for 10 minutes straight. Thank you so much for being such dedicated readers <3.

Oh, and I went back to chapter 2 and edited it. So now, instead of the Wal-Mart adventures lasting for 12 days, I'm gonna make today their last day, because I don't want it to get boring and repetitive.

Sorry, this is so short, I wanted the trashing Wal-Mart thing to all be in one chapter so I just cut it off there. I hope you like this chapter! I'm trying my best to keep it real, and not have any perfect characters, which is why Raine has glasses and stuff.

And sorry about extra spacing, it was either that, or it being really clumped together, I don't know why...

Fatement, please! {Fan.Vote.Comment}

~JJ :)