[25] Gotta Be You

Dedicated to TheReadingAngel for the awesome poster on the side. Thanks a bunch!

--

(Unedited)

Can we fall, one more time?

Stop the tape, and rewind?

And if you walk away,

I know I'll fade.

'Cause there is nobody else.

It's gotta be you, only you.

~Gotta Be You- One Direction

      I hated that look.

      Growing up with him, I had seen that look over a dozen times. Kaden wasn't the kind to et extremely mad often, but when he did, it was kind of terrifying. There had been only one time that the look had been directed at me.

      And that was a time I didn't want to think about.

      "Kaden-" I started, thankful that my voice was a lot more calm and steady than I was feeling.

      "Tell me I didn't just hear what I think I did," he gritted out.

      "Depends on what you think you heard," I retorted, sharper than I had intended to. Shoot. That had sounded massively defensive...

      "So I see..." he trailed off, narrowing his eyes at me.

      "Kaden, I think with the best friend's brother thing, we're allowed clichés, but please don't do the possessive, jealous thing," I said, trying to lighten the mood. It didn't work. "Kaden, we're just friends," I added exasperatedly.

      "Yeah, that's what you said last time." I recoiled as if he had hit me, and well, I guess he might as well have. I can't believe he just said that. I thought that was done. That that chapter of our lives was over.

      "Do you trust me?" I asked, hurt. Unlike in the movies, his eyes didn't soften the slightest bit at my wounded tone.

      "Maybe I'll trust you when you start trying," he told me.

      Now it was my turn to narrow my eyes. "What's that supposed to mean?"

      "You don't try, Raine. You never have. Sometimes, I wonder if you even want any of this," Kaden stated before turning and walking out of the room, not giving me a chance to respond. I didn't try? My head spun as I tried to figure out exactly what he had meant be that. Had he meant that he thought I didn't want to date him? I sighed and walked back into the kitchen to find Kallie and Annabelle sitting on the counter. Annabelle was munching on an apple; Kallie was doing the same, except with a muffin from the cooling tray on the rack.

      "Bad fight?" Annabelle asked, looking at me sympathetically. I grimaced and nodded.

      Kallie paused half way through picking off the wrapper from the muffin and turned to stare at me. "Wait. That was a fight, right? Not a break up?" she questioned, examining me warily. I opened my mouth to reply with 'Yeah, it had only been a fight', but stopped. Had it really just been a fight? Or had it been a break up? After a couple moments of debating, I finally shrugged in response. It was the best and probably only answer I could give her. I honestly had no clue.

      Kallie groaned. "It's been a day! I swear, you guys are the hardest people to play Cupid on ever!" she declared, before hopping off the counter and strolling out of the room. Wait a sixty seconds. Did she just actually and finally admit that she's been trying to get us together? Huh. Odd. You'd think she wouldn't want us to be together, I mean, he's her brother, I'm her best friend. Why haven't I considered this before?