Reunion

Kaycee took a deep breath. To say she was nervous was an understatement. When Meghan contacted Kaycee asking her to be a part of Meghan's new music video she didn't hesitate before accepting the offer - and then she was told it was a couple's piece. It wasn't that she had never done partner work before, but it was the first rehearsal for the shoot in two days and she still didn't know who her partner and the choreographer was going to be. She was honoured that Meghan trusted her acting and dancing skills enough not to be worried about how well Kaycee would pull off the choreography and chemistry but that didn't stop the panic that ran through her veins. Exhaling, she pushed open the door to the studio and what she saw took her breath away.

In the middle of the studio was a tall, lean boy. He had his eyes closed and was dancing to the music that played through the speakers. His movements entranced her- he moved will such fluidity, each movement flowing seamlessly into the next, yet he still managed to hit every single beat in the song. She felt as if she was hearing a different song altogether. He danced with an emotional intensity she had never seen before, his pain and vulnerability clearly conveyed through each movement.

He ended with a flawless spin landing on the floor with his head between his hands. Kaycee let out a breath she didn't know she was holding, awestruck at the way this stranger had told an unmistakable story with the most unique movements she had ever seen. He looked up at the sound of her breath and Kaycee quickly realised she was staring.

She felt her cheeks burn as she stuttered out an apology 

"Sorry, I didn't mean to intrude I-".

" Kaycee Rice?" the boy interrupted, his face breaking out into a grin that revealed the sweetest dimples. "When Meghan told me I would be getting an amazing partner I didn't expect to be this lucky."

She could feel her cheeks blush a deeper shade of red at the compliment. For the first time since entering the studio she look at the boy's face and let out a gasp

"Sean Lew?!?!" she laughed. "It's been so long since I've seen you. Where have you been?"

He had reached where she was standing and pulled her in for a quick hug before pulling back and chuckling "Umm... here and there I guess? I've pretty much been traveling through Europe and Asia just learning and occasionally teaching for the last 4 years but I finally decided to come back to LA and stay."

"That's crazy!" she exclaimed, "So I'm assuming your my mysterious partner for the After You music video?". He nodded his head enthusiastically in reply. "Do you know who's choreographing?"

"That would be me as well" he replied, his hand reaching up to scratch the back of his neck.

Kaycee's jaw dropped. That meant she would have to not only match his clean movements but also learn his unique choreography. "Well, there's nothing better than a good challenge." she mumbled nervously.

Sean let out a laugh and smirked at her before walking back to his computer and gesturing for her to follow. He sat down next to it and Kaycee followed suit, setting down her bag next to his and beginning to stretch. She was surprised she hadn't turned into awkward, tomato faced Kaycee despite not having seen Sean for 4 years but she felt completely at ease around him, something that usually took a while for her to accomplish with someone.

She continued to stretch not looking at him as he began to tell her his plan for the music video. "I don't know what the set looks like yet so I'm thinking we'll just choreograph half of it today and figure out the rest of it tomorrow when we're on set for the rehearsal." She smiled at the floor hearing him say we, implying she would be choreographing as well. "We can incorporate your flexibility and do some really cool back bendy things as well." She looked up at him in surprise at this, she couldn't believe he remembered that. As if sensing her gaze he looked up from his computer and smiled at her. She smiled back. "And I was also thinking that you could do a little solo for one part?". At that her smile faltered.

"Umm... would I need to choreograph that myself? I don't really know if I'm confident enough in my choreography to that and I mean compared to yours it would-" she began to ramble nervously.

"Kaycee. I've seen your choreography before. It's amazing, don't doubt it" he cut her off flashing her a grin that showed off his dimples. Her heart quickened and she felt her reddening cheeks betray her. 

"Anyways, do you wanna start?". He stood up and put out a hand for her to pull herself up.

...

They worked on the choreography for the next 2 hours, Sean giving clear instructions to Kaycee and her silently following his movements and ideas. She was amazed at how his mind worked, each movement matching the subtlest of beats and having a purpose coming together to form a story.

"Okay this next part is going to be a little bit weird but I promise it'll look good. I think... We might end up looking like a tangled mess but hopefully not?" Sean laughed.

Kaycee smirked back. "Okay?"

They worked on the next part for another half an hour, which doesn't seem like long, but it was only one eight count..... Their arms kept getting tangled and their timing was off as Kaycee wrapped her arms around him and he weaved their arms together. After about a hundred tries they finally managed to do the flow without Sean's head getting trapped and matching each beat. Kaycee loved the sequence, she felt as if Sean had created moving art with these simple movements but she could tell Sean wasn't happy with it. He frowned at the ground, his hands marking out the movements before sighing and changing it.

"Sean." she smiled at him brightly "I have a better idea". She stood in front of him and began making the most awkward poses she could think of, moving his arms to match her, ending it with a "woah". Looking through the mirror she grinned at Sean.

 "What do you think?"

"That was pure art." he answered sarcastically his face breaking out into a grin as he laughed.

"Hmmm... I still think yours is better though, because yours is literally perfect." she smiled back at him "Stop overthinking it. Its beautiful."

He smiled back at her. "Okay" he replied softly, letting out a little laugh. She was surprised at how much he trusted her opinion. "We still have a little time left. What do you want to do?"

"How about we go to the coffee shop across the road and get something to drink. Then we can find out more about each other than what our 14 and 15 year old selves were like, because I'm not sure I want the 14 year old me you remember to be all you know about me." Kaycee suggested. "Besides we're gonna need to have chemistry for this piece and its got to start somewhere right?"

"Right."

...

Author's note: This is the first thing I've ever written but the idea just popped into my head and I wanted to write it down. It's not the best, some of the sentences don't really make sense but that's okay. Let me know what you think!