***

"It's over here." Leo said, guiding the girls around the small building to the staircase that led to the Thunderbird and Whale Bookstore.

Leo opened the door of the shop and was met with a small jingle of the bell overhead. The shop consisted of a small room, filled with books of all shapes and sizes as well as other Native American artifacts. It was mostly empty, save for the clerk sitting behind the desk, who greeted the three girls with a friendly smile, and a couple customers wandering aimlessly through the shop. Lark looked around in awe, seeing books of legends from a number of different tribes on the shelves.

She opened one book sitting on a shelf detailing Navajo legends, softly flipping through the pages and seeing a few of the stories she'd heard when she was younger. While Greek myths had always been her favorites, her brother had always been captivated by these legends, and their mother read to them from a book similar to the one currently in her hands.

"Is this what you're looking for?" Alicia asked Lark, holding up a book titled Quileute Legends.

Lark nodded, crossing over to where Alicia and Leo stood and taking the book from her. "Yeah. I think this is the one Bella was talking about."

"I've flipped through her copy a couple times." Alicia said as Lark went to check out, handing the man behind the counter her debit card. "There's a lot of interesting stuff in there."

Lark thanked the man and the girls left the shop, the bell jingling once more as they walked out. She quickly shoved the book into her bag as they made their way to their next destination, a small cafe Leo and Alicia both claimed had some of the best sandwiches in all of Washington state.

"Okay Lark," Leo explained as they walked inside, "since it's your first time here, here's a small tip. If the sandwich has some sort of weird-sounding jam on it, it's there for a reason. Don't order the sandwich without it. You might just manage to surprise yourself."

"Apricot jam on a turkey sandwich?" she read the menu, eyeing the girls suspiciously.

"Just remember," Alicia said, "it's there for a reason."

"Okay," Lark said nervously before proceeding to order the sandwich and a bag of chips from the cafe's barista.

After the girls ordered, they took a spot at a small table in the corner of the room, near the window, where it was starting to rain and the darker clouds were beginning to roll in. A few minutes later the barista arrived with their sandwiches, placing three plates in front of the girls.

"Thank you," the girls chimed as she gave them a friendly smile before returning back to the front counter.

"Alright Lark," Alicia said. "go for it."

Lark eyed her sandwich nervously before lifting it up and taking a bite. The two girls watched her intently, studying her every move for even the faintest hint of a reaction.

"Well?" Leo asked.

Lark smiled softly, nodding and setting the sandwich back down. "It really is there for a reason."