Chapter 1: Heart of a Thief

Deep in the Sherwood Forest, Robin winced as the sharp blades of the Alder trees' rough bark sliced through his palm. A small pool of blood trickled down his forearm, staining the white cuffs of his sleeves. As an average man, Robin weighed in at 197-pounds. At times when he was fighting in hand to hand combat, his weight was useful. He could easily knock someone down and pin them down so that they would eat the very dust they were made of. However, Robin was doing his best to balance himself on an Alder branch that was 45 feet tall. So his 197-pound body did nothing but unsteady him. Wrapping his arms around the tree to support himself, he glanced up. Even though Robin could not see him in the darkness of the late evening, the ruffle of the branches unveiled the little boy who Robin described as a human spider perched there. He had long legs and arms, had a powerful grip and was so skinny that he did not weigh any more than a feather. Making him--unlike Robin--an expert tree climber.

"Jon," he called out to the boy. "any new sightings?"

A high voice responded. "No, sir." Robin frowned. How disappointing. Down below was a dirt road that was often beaten by the hoofs of powerful horses that would drag carriages behind them. Carriages transporting those who were born with the lavish life of the nobility, nobles whose bellies burst at the seams not know a thing of what it is to die of hunger.

"Are you sure the Royal Ball is supposed to happen tonight?" Silence crept in between them like a sly cat.

"I don't know," the kid admitted.

"What do you mean you don't know?"

"I don't know." Robin wanted to shake some sense into the boy. Doesn't he understand what they were doing? He would never forget the moment he felt the anger and justice rise inside his heart, what happened to an old man from one of the villages. He remembered how the old man fell to his knees and clutched with bony fingers the hem of a noble's fur cloak, pleading with him to have mercy on him and his family, only to be kicked to the side as if he were garbage. Robin made a vow that day, a vow he swore not to break. Even after two years of keeping his promise he had never been closer to breaking it than now. His heart stung as he contemplated the idea to call it off for a night. At that moment he heard Jon squeal.

"Incoming!"

Robin grinned. Maybe there is a chance to pull this scheme off after all. He put his fingers to his lips and whistled. He heard the crunching of five pairs of boots down below. Though he could not see his men, he knew they were doing as he planned. The five men crouched to the edge of the road with arrows in hand. It was not long before he heard the nicker of the horses. He climbed down to the lowest branch as stealthy as he could and retrieved his bow and arrow that he left there. Pulling an arrow from his quill, Robin aimed at the carriage. He fired. The arrow soared through the air hit the exposed driver in the arm. He shrieked. Leading the horses to squeal and the passengers to scream. Robin jumped down, along with Jon not too far behind. Three of his men went over to the horses to calm them down to prevent them from running off, while Jon and Robin went toward the carriage with their arrows ready." Jon opened the door, revealing two white-faced nobles. The woman was sobbing while the man stared at them with bloodshot eyes. The curls of his mustache twitched.

"Who are you and how dare you attack us!" Robin only aimed at him.

" I suggest you keep that trap of yours closed sir, we wouldn't want to make a bloody mess do we?" The man eyes stretched wide. His Adam apple bobbed.

"No, certainly not." Robin smiled.

"Good, now get out." The nobles did not hesitate. They clambered out of the carriage. With arrows aimed at their heart, Robin ordered them to take off whatever jewellery they had and hand it over, and they did with trembling fingers. Once Robin was satisfied with the amount he strapped his satchel to his horse and mounted.