Chapter 21: Half term nightmare

It was the morning that we were going home. Me and Steph were chatting amiably about what we would be doing over half term. I was going to my mum's for these holidays, meaning I would meet her new boyfriend. Steph was going to visit grandparents in Cornwall.

I hadn't seen my mum since last summer, because I wanted to spend my birthday (October half term) at dad's place. I usually alternate between houses for the holidays, spending 3 weeks of summer with dad and the other 3 with mum. I'd never met her boyfriend and was curious to know what he was like.

We finished packing a few bits and bobs to go home, as we would be coming back again so there was no point packing loads, and headed out. We met the others by the entrance, ready to walk to King's Cross where the school bus would be waiting to take us back to three stops - Cambridge, Birmingham and Southampton. From the nearest stop to our houses we would make our way home on another train. Steph, Nina and I all stopped in Cambridge.

We arrived in King's Cross. The school train was waiting for us, with the school name printed on the side of it. Nina, Steph and I said goodbye to our friends as they went into different compartments, and we sat in our own, talking about what we would be doing when we got back home. If there was one good thing about going to my mother's it was that I wouldn't have to put up with Spencer just across the road, which I was grateful for. I didn't really want him coming over at random moments.

**

The first stop was Cambridge. Steph, Nina and I stood and collected our stuff, staring out at the close-to-midday sky, which wasn't particularly sunny. The train stopped and we headed to the nearest door, stepping into Cambridge station. We saw our guy friends waving at us on the train and waved back, blowing them kisses jokingly. Then we sat on a bench and waited for our separate trains to arrive - Steph to Royston, Nina to Foxton and myself to King's Lynn.

The Royston train came first. Steph waved us all goodbye and gave us hugs before getting on the train where she waved from the window. Next was my own train to King's Lynn, and I hugged Nina goodbye and got on, searching for a seat. I saw Spencer sitting alone staring out of the window and sighed to myself as I went to sit next to him. What am I getting myself into? I asked myself as I approached. Spencer looked up as I shoved my coat and bag into the rack above the seat and I sat opposite him. He gave me a quizzical look as if to say 'why are you sitting here I thought you hated me?' to which I shrugged and took out my book.

The train journey wasn't that bad. Spencer fell asleep before he could make any perverted remarks about me, and I just read. Things got slightly awkward when we arrived in King's Lynn - it meant I had to wake him up. I got my stuff down as we slowed, and then walked round the table and nudged his shoulder. His eyes snapped open and he grunted slightly as he sat upright and then looked at me in surprise.

"We're here," I said, and then walked off the train, searching for my brother or dad among the crowd. Spencer got off behind me and then I spotted Danny talking to Eddie near the entrance to the station. I poked Spencer and pointed. We fought the crowd and joined our brothers and, in my case, sister.

"I'll see you at school, then," said Eddie as Amy gave me a hug.

"Yeah, if I survive my mum's place," joked Danny. Eddie gave him a questioning look. "Mum's going to kill us if we're on bad behaviour for her new boyfriend," he said smirking. "Meaning me and Jess will have to dig our graves now before it's too late," Eddie laughed, and I rolled my eyes.

"C'mon, let's go already. I'm getting claustrophobic," I said, taking Amy's hand and nudging Danny.

"OK, OK, jeez, chill," he said, but nevertheless grabbed my bag - he could be gentlemanly when he wanted to be - and took his car keys out of his pocket. He said goodbye to Eddie and we went to his car and got in, preparing ourselves for our mother's killer embrace, even though it was still half an hour away.