T H R E E

~ Divine Timing ~
~ day 5 ~
J A M E S

I stare up at the street sign, yawning and tensing my shoulders in order to try to wake myself up. Amusement Boulevard. I roll my eyes at the sight of the colorful lights and the sound of carnival music from Amusement Mile across the wide, deep drainage ditch and watch quietly as Ashton pulls a smushed carton of Maverick's out of his coat pocket.

"Let me bum one of those," I mutter, as Ashton leads me down an alleyway. He extends the carton to me, allowing me to take one before he takes one. Pulling a lighter from my coat pocket, I lean against the brick walk, next to Ashton & light the cigarette.

 Pulling a lighter from my coat pocket, I lean against the brick walk, next to Ashton & light the cigarette

"It's two a.m.," I state as I look at my watch. "And you woke me up to bring me to a piss scented alleyway..."

Ashton chuckles as he shakes his head and blows smoke from his mouth, flicking the ashes from his cigarette. "I was given this address by some junkie outside of a trap house in Old Gotham for 25 bucks."

"And you trust some random junkie?" I scoff, furrowing my eyebrows as he motions for me to follow him further down the alleyway. He just shrugs, bringing his cigarette to his lips. Suddenly, the alleyway dips into a steep staircase, where a few sketchy people are soliciting. I avoid making eye contact as I follow Ashton, taking my cigarette from my lips and blowing some out of my mouth. "Where are you even taking me?"

Again, he doesn't answer as he approaches a big rusted metal door attached to a seemingly abandoned building. There was a guy standing in front of the door, his hands shoved into his hoodie pockets. He was unmoving, just staring at the door until he senses us approaching. He looks at us, his expression stone cold, his curls spilling out of his hood slightly. He looks at Ash and I for a quick moment before rushing past us and back up the stairs, disappearing around the corner. I furrow my eyebrows as I watch him disappear before looking back at the door. It looked heavy and dirty, but Ash opens the door anyway and motions for me to enter, music pouring through suddenly. I look back towards the stairs, glancing at the crowd again. "Where are we?"

 "Where are we?"