11. We read to avoid the events of real life

"How was training?" Janis asked as she scrubbed my bathroom floor

"I didn't go," I replied as I flipped a page in my book.

"Why not?" Janis asked as she looked up at me.

"I had a duty at the entrance hall today. Had to see the judgements for all the dead. Do you know the number of people who get into Elysium?" I asked as Iooked up from my book. "Like there was a guy who killed a man but since his intentions were pure he was let off the hook. I was shocked at first and then realised that so many of them committed crimes that are more punishable on earth than down here. How does that make sense?"

"Well, they died. Don't you think that is punishment enough?" Janis asked.

"Not if they are just going to get everything they wanted in Elysium," I muttered turning my attention back to my book.

Janis got up and cleaned her hands. "Well, I'm done for the day."

"Hmm," I replied absentmindedly.

"You stick your nose in books all the time, Illiana and you will miss out on the events of the real life," Janis said as she walked to the door.

"I read so that I can miss out the events of the real life, Janis," I replied.

Janis shook her head in disappointment as she picked up her shawl from the table near the door and put it around her neck. "Good night, Illiana."

"Good night," I replied as I looked up from my book.

Janis opened the door and immediately stepped back. A woman wearing a pale white gown walked in. She was holding a piece of paper in her hand. I kept my book down and got out of my bed. The woman bowed slightly and then held out the paper roll.

"A message from the king, my lady."

×××

"You asked for me?" I asked as I stood at the entrance of the room. "Woah."

I was in a library. Not a really big one but big enough that you had to use a ladder to reach the top books. Even though I couldn't read more than half the books in the room, I had a sudden flicker of excitement in my eyes.

Hades was sitting on the ladder with a book in his hands. "Hey. Yeah, come in."

I walked and stood in front of the ladder and looked up at him. "Why did you call me?"

My eyes wandered about the books on the shelves as I felt Hades' eyes stuck on me. Most of the books were in a language I didn't know. And they all looked older than me.

"I...uh...am going to ask for you to step away from the warrior post." He replied slowly. I looked up at him confused. "Ansel was right. We can't be around all the time."

"But -"

"Let me finish." He held out a hand to stop me. "Most warriors can't fight when they first join. We choose people based on how brave they can be. And it usually wouldn't matter because the men will slowly train and become stronger. And you would have too. But you can't fight yet and I don't know how long it will take you to train. I can't protect you all that while. As much as I want to, I have business and work and annoying ass prophecies."

I licked my dry lips waiting for a chance to speak as he went on.

"You will either join the cooks and make food or you will get your judgement and either go to Elysium or Tartarus." He concluded.

"May I speak now?" I asked. He nodded. "I am stronger than half the men you have. I have training tomorrow morning at five. Show up and you'll see how I fight. If you still think I'm too weak to protect myself, I'll join the cooks."

I walked towards the entrance without waiting for his reply. I turned around halfway and began walking backwards as I spoke. "Also if I do become a cook, I can't promise I won't poison a few of them."

I turned back around as I saw Hades shake his head as he chuckled.

Managed to squeeze in an update

Hope you liked it!
Vote and comment!