One- Dakota

July 1999

"Sweetie, Can you get the door?" My mom calls my name from the kitchen.

I hop up and open, my chin up expecting a tall adult. I look down and down, until I see a little boy, about my brothers age.

"Hey, I'm Jesse Douglas. I'm nine years old, and I'm looking for a new friend." He introduces.

My brother crashes through and shoves me out of the way. "I'm Dallas. I'm also nine. And I'm also looking for a new friend."

They shake hands.

I roll my eyes and trudge away.

October 2002

My birthday month. I'm eight years old! I don't have many friends, so Jesse and Dallas come to my roller skating party. Some other girls from church, but no one I truly liked.

Jesse and Dallas are glued to the hip, never away from eachother. They are the friendship people wish they had as kids. They read each other's minds, help eachother when down, and so much more.

I need that.

August 2005

First day of sixth grade.

Middle school.

No friends to eat with, no cliques to be safe with, just me and my jean skirt and knee high striped socks.

Distracted by all the noise and commotion, I bump into a girl with platinum blonde hair. She has freckles and dark brown eyes.

Beautiful.

She's wearing a yellow shirt with velvet overalls.

"Oh, sorry." I apologize.

"You're good. I love your socks!" She exclaims.

"I love your overalls!" I say back.

"I'm Lucy Meyers. But, you can call me Mimi. Who are you?" She introduces.

"Dakota Jade."

We cross arms and skip through the halls like besties.

I finally have what Jess and Dall have.

Present Day January 2013